Friday, April 7, 2023

Saturday 9

Easter Parade

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Saturday 9: Easter Parade

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here or here

1) This song is best known from the 1948 movie of the same name, but it was originally written for a 1933 Broadway play called As Thousands Cheer. In the play, a young man reads about the parade in a New York  newspaper and decides to go and show his lady love off to parade goers. What's the most recent parade you attended?
I don't really "do" parades, and I can't remember the last one, but probably it was a gay pride parade in San Francisco that I marched in with a PFLAG group more than 20 years ago.

2) On Broadway, the song was performed by Clifton Webb. He'd had a busy stage career, appearing in musicals as well as plays by Oscar Wilde and Noel Coward, but when he was in his mid-50s, he was considered too old to be a leading man. Broadway offers stopped coming. He was unexpectedly cast by Otto Preminger for the film noir Laura and a new career was born. He worked steadily in Hollywood for 20 years and earned three Oscar nominations. Tell us about a time you were grateful your life took an unanticipated turn.
I am so glad that we decided to drive to Los Angeles in 1999 to see the musical, The Last Session.  It changed my life because I got to be friends with Steve Schalchlin (musician/writer/performer) and I can't begin to enumerate the things in my life that changed as a result of that friendship.

3) Today he's fondly remembered by the students at UCLA who have benefited from The Clifton Webb Scholarship of the Arts. If you could give an endowment to a school or charity, what would you like it to be used for?
Given that this would be a scholarship of the arts, I would choose The Lamplighters Music Theater in San Francisco, for which I volunteered for many years.
 

4) According to Forbes magazine, the average American household will spend upwards of $150 on Easter dinner, candy, and decorations this weekend. Do holidays strain your budget?
I depends on the holiday.  Christmas yes, Easter no.

5) The biggest chocolate Easter egg was made in Italy, measured 34 feet tall and weighed a staggering 15,000 lbs. Do you think it's possible to have too much chocolate?
I'd like to say no because I love chocolate, but it's always possible to have too much of something, even chocolate.
  
6) After chocolate, the top-selling Easter candy is Peeps Marshmallow Chicks. They're so popular that they were once the subject of a Jeopardy clue. Do you often watch Jeopardy?
Daily.  We record it so we're sure not to miss it (we also went to LA to see a live recording many years ago)   And, as an extra note, I love chocolate, do not like Peeps.

7) Jelly beans are also popular this time of year. In a 2020 poll, jelly bean fans responded that cinnamon is their favorite flavor. Do you have a favorite?
I love the Jelly Belly buttered popcorn and the juicy pear

8) We've been talking a lot about sweets this morning. The only holiday that generates more candy sales is Halloween. When do you eat more candy: Easter or Halloween?
I eat almost no candy (not my choice!) but none on Easter and I will sneak give away candy on Halloween.

 9) Easter is considered the season of rebirth. What makes you feel refreshed or rejuvenated?
Waking up and realizing that I have slept more than 3 hours.


 ____________________________________________________________________________________________

PHOTO OF THE DAY


from the ,movie Easter Parade


_____
8252

8 comments:

  1. Oh, Bev, you toyed with me! When I saw you added a second "hear it here" link, I thought: she's found an actual visual of Clifton Webb performing the original song! No, you tease, it's Judy and Fred again, which we've done on Saturday 9 already. Easter is so much tougher to meme for than Christmas or Valentine's or even the patriotic holidays. I was so tickled to find the original 1933 rendition.

    I love your answer to #2. It's lovely that an accidental encounter enriched your life so.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. #1 Hmm… you made me rethink my answer. I marched in a Pride parade back around 2010 in Northampton MA and 2009 in the NYC Pride parade to that ended at the Stonewall Inn.
    #5 Yup, especially dark chocolate (There is a lot of caffeine in dark chocolate).
    #6 I got to meet one of the all time winners Amy Schneider.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool that you got to meet Amy Schneider!

      Delete
  3. I love that you would give money to the arts. Music and art light up all areas of the brain getting it ready for learning. Some people do not understand the power of it. I know you do. I use music and art a lot in my classroom.
    Unanticipated things in life can be really great. I loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like Peeps either. Those things are nasty. Yuck. LOL. Chocolate, now, that's something else again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got to see Alex Trebek? I’m jealous

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peeps give me the Creeps. The best thing they are good for it "sword" fights in the Microwave. And the sleep thing .... I totally GET That...

    ReplyDelete

Bob Dunning's farewell.

  (I did not have the opportunity to write a final, honest column about my 55 years at The Davis Enterprise. So I’m doing it here.) This is ...