Friday, April 21, 2023

Saturday 9


Welcome to Saturday: 9
. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to 
answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!


Saturday 9: I Won't Be the One to Let Go (2002)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) Barbra Streisand begins by singing about dreams and wishes. What are you wishing for this morning?
What I always wish for in the morning--that I'll have mail.  And I did.  One pen pal letter.

2) Barry Manilow sings that "anytime you need me, you'll know where I am." If a friend needs you, what's the best way to reach you (text, phone call, email, knock on the front door ...)?
Probably text or phone call.  I check email less often.
 
3) Both of this week's artists are from Brooklyn. In addition to Barry and Barbra, Brooklyn is home to Coney Island, where America's first roller coaster debuted in 1884. Do you enjoy amusement park rides? If yes, do you have a favorite?
Not really any more.  I used to enjoy Disneyland, but I'm tired of it (and it's entirely too expensive now anyway)

4) Barbra and her husband, actor James Brolin, have lived in the same Malibu home for more than 25 years. How long have you been in your current residence? Do you think you'll be moving anytime soon?
In August, we will have been in this house 50 years.  And no, we have no plans to be moving in the foreseeable future.

5) Barry Manilow once lived in luxurious Bel Air. His neighbors were former President and Mrs. Reagan. At first he thought it would be great to have the Reagans nearby but quickly changed his mind because he disliked the Secret Service helicopters flying overhead. Tell us about one of your neighbors. (No pressure; we don't expect to hear about historic figures.)
We had problems with our next door neighbors for many years until I had my head shaved to raise money for children's cancer research, when the woman read about it in the paper, she went to all the neighbors and gathered $300 as a donation for me.
 
6) As a teenager, Barbra worked as a switchboard operator. Her job consisted of connecting calls by inserting phone plugs into the appropriate jacks. As telephoning became automated, these jobs were phased out and by 1983, the switchboard operator was obsolete. Can you think of another occupation that used to be common but doesn't exist anymore?
Medical transcription is being phased out by computerized medical records that the doctor writes during the appointment.
My godfather sold vacuum cleaners door to door.  You won't find any door to door salesmen these days....or milk men!

7) Loyal Fanilows can subscribe to ManilowTV. For $9.95/month, fans can watch exclusive content, like interviews and concert performances. Do you more often watch live broadcast TV or streamed content?
I watch a lot of streamed content, but mostly watch live broadcast TV.

8) In 2002, the year this recording was released, the Sears Wish Book offered seven different collectible Barbies. According to Mattel, the doll's manufacturer, there are more than 100,000 Barbie collectors all over the world. Do you collect anything?
Lately I've been collecting stickers purchased from Temu, but I think I'm finally finished.

9) Random question: Are you exclusively an online/ATM bank customer, or do you often go into the branch and interact with a teller?

I never interact with bank tellers.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

                                                   PHOTO OF THE DAY


We had sushi for dinner last night,
as we always do on Paul's anniversary


_____
8263

8 comments:

  1. #5 is such a heartwarming neighborhood story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew the doctor enters everything on a laptop or tablet during visits now, but never thought about it making transcriptionists obsolete. I don't check my email all that often, either. Maybe 2 or 3 times a week unless I'm expecting something important to come in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a nice neighbor story for #3. I had some neighbors that I absolutely loved, but they have passed away now. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. #1 I get the post office’s “Informed Delivery” that shows you what is coming in the mail that day and I decide if I want to walk down to the mail box that day.
    #3 I have never been to Disneyland or Disney World and no desire to go there.
    #4 My parents lived in their home for 52 years before they passed away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get "informed delivery" every day too, but the mailman delivers to our mailbox, right outside our front door.

      Delete
  5. I would like to go back to Disney in Orlando but not now, not when the state has become a fascist wet dream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never been to any Disney locations. I wanted to go on a sister trip for my 50th birthday but it didn't work out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Disney, I’ve only been to the one in Florida, May have to switch to California soon

    ReplyDelete

Sunday Stealing

  Welcome to Sunday Stealing. This feature originated and published on WTIT: The Blog. Here we will steal all types of questions from every ...