Friday, August 4, 2023

Saturday 9


Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme! 


Our theme for August is "girls' names."

 Linda (1946)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Buddy Clark sings that when he can't sleep he doesn't count sheep, he enumerates Linda's charms. Did you sleep well last night?
 I had a difficult time getting to sleep because I was upset, learning that a good friend died, but once I got to sleep, I slept surprisingly well.

2) In addition to singing with big bands, Buddy sang commercial jingles live on radio programs and was the voice of Carnation Milk. Can you think of a jingle that's stayed in your head?
Not off the top of my head, but given a hint, I can probably remember a lot of them.

3) For "Linda," Buddy Clark performed with bandleader Ray Noble. Ray was classically trained at London's Royal Academy of Music, but much preferred big band music to that of Mozart, Beethoven or Chopin. When did you last listen to classical music?
I don't listen to music much of the time, but when I do it's probably 3/4 of the time classical. 

4) Composer Jack Lawrence named this song after a particular little girl, the daughter of his lawyer, Lee Eastman. Without looking it up, do you know what became of Lee Eastman's daughter Linda?
I don't now who Lee Eastman is, so I have no idea about his daughter!

5) According to the Social Security Administration Linda was long one of the most popular names for American baby girls. It was #2 in the 1940s and 1950s (second only to Mary). By the 1960s it slipped to #7 and by the 1970s it fell to #68. Are there many Lindas in your life
There is a Linda here in Davis that I've known forever (if I haven't seen her in forever), and a Linda we met on our first cruise, who is a friend on Facebook.  There are also a few other Lindas on my friend list on Facebook, but I don't really know them well.

6) 1946, the year this record was released, is regarded as the first year of the Baby Boom, which lasted until 1964. Are you from The Silent Generation or are you Boomer, a Gen-Xer, a Gen-Yer, or a Millennial?
Having been born in 1943, I don't fit in any special named generation.

7) In the summer of '46, hats were a standard part of any woman's outfit. Hats for day, hats for evening, hats for rainy days ... The 1946 Sears Spring-Summer catalog devoted nine pages to women's hats. Do you own many hats? If yes, for what occasions do you wear them?
I only own one sun hat. I have a large head and most "fits all" hats are too small for me.  I understand Oprah has the same problem.

8) Also in 1946, the Mensa Society was created. The only qualification to join was an IQ in the top 98th percentile. Do you know your IQ?
I did when I was in high school, but I suspect it's not that high any more.

9) Random question: Tell us something you admire about your best friend.
Her relationship with her grandkids.

________________________________________________________________________

PHOTO OF THE DAY




8361

5 comments:

  1. I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1943 is considered the Silent Generation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm truly sorry to hear that death has claimed your friend. It's hard when our generational buddies go.
    IQ. High School has been when most of us were tested, and frankly, it goes up from there, especially as we understand the higher maths. They test much earlier now.
    And the newer tests are better at defining it. TV, in it's infancy, was loaded with little commercial jingles. This was true even back in the late early 50's. Your photo of your grand daughter is darling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry about your friend. It is so hard losing close friends. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

A strange reunion

  We went to a concert on Friday.  And it was also a big reunion.  Stephen Peithman (middle) was once the commentator of a series of fund-r...