Saturday, August 12, 2023

Sunday Stealing

 


Welcome to Sunday Stealing. This feature originated and published on WTIT: The Blog. Here we will steal all types of questions from every corner of the blogosphere. Our promise to you is that we will work hard to find the most interesting and intelligent questions. Cheers to all of us thieves.



Stolen from the League of Extraordinary Penpals
1. Things I would do first if I won a billion dollar lottery
First, I would find a good professional who could help me with the money.  Then I would make sure that each of my kids got a good amount and the granddaughters had money set aside for them.  I would give the maximum family gift to each of my sponsored kids.   I would plan a long flight somewhere in first class and maybe a first class cruise. I'm not really interested in a lot of "stuff," but I would hire someone to come and plant grass and flowers in our yard and maybe think of things around that house that could be done...like maybe building a bathroom for me that connects to my office.  I would have a lot of clothes made just for me.   I can think of a few friends and organizations that I would give money to, anonymously.  Basically, I wouldn't have a clue what to do with so much money! 

2. Something I probably spend too much money on
Lately it's been too much on stuff with Temu.  Normally it's too much on books.

3. How I feel about the dentist
My dentist used to be my friend, but she has now retired.  But she taught me not to be afraid of the dentist and I actually looked forward to my appointments because it was my chance to visit with her.  In all the years I was with her, and all the work she did on my teeth, there was zero pain.

4. Foods I am most picky about
I only eat Best Foods mayonnaise.  I prefer white, not wheat, bread.  No lettuce in any sandwich. Bananas must be slightly green with no brown spots whatever.

5. Internet friends / penpals I want to visit in person
Country Girl has become my penpal and I'd love to meet her.  Also several of the regulars here and on Saturday 9, like Kwizgiver and The Gal Herself.  I've had lunch with Zippi.

6. My healthiest habits
Since my hospitalization, I've pretty much given up most sweets, except occasionally.  And I've stopped eating Skippy Peanut butter and have learned to actually prefer no-salt peanut butter.  Thanks to the writers' strike, I've also started going to sleep at 10 instead of 1 a.m. and find I am actually sleeping better

7. Easiest, low effort foods and snacks for busy days
Easiest snack for me is four Ritz crackers and 1 slice of American cheese broken into 4 pieces to top the crackers.  That, with some fruit, is frequently my lunch.

8. Where I go in summer to unwind
We don't do "vacations" so in the summer I unwind at home, just like I do every other season.

9. My comfort books, tv shows, and movies
"Cozy mysteries," more drama than comedy on TV.  We rarely go to the movies but wait for blockbusters to come out on Netflix.

10. A list of good things
Chocolate, personal letters, sunsets, the sound of the ocean, naps, San Francisco, fog, people who make comments on journal entries, SwapBot swaps, Peets French roast coffee, my recliner, donuts, beautiful photography, squirrels, the friendship my kids have with each other

11. Favorite places to take photos
I love to take pictures in San Francisco.  I love any scenic place with mountains, waterfalls, or ocean.

12. The routines and habits I stick to most
My whole day is pretty much routine -- bed at 10, up at 1 to do Wordle and ISE, back to sleep between 2 and 3, up around 5 and into the recliner with Morning Joe on hoping it will put me to sleep.  Breakfast around 8 and then into my office for the morning, answering letters, working on the current journal and doing stuff on the internet.  Lunch around 11:30-12, then turn on reruns of Criminal Minds and sleep for an hour to an hour and a half. Back to my office to repeat the morning's activities, dinner at 6 and then watch TV until time to go back to sleep. 

13. Topics I’d love to learn more about
I'm always happy to learn more about animals, especially elephants.  I love learning new things about San Francisco, I have read a lot about the Holocaust, I love learning the backstage story of the making of movies. So many more topics I come across sound interesting.

14. This time last year ...
We had just gotten our new dog and were getting to know him.  Also, my computer broke down and I stopped writing Funny the World for several months.

15. Favorite memories of someone I’ve lost
The very first person whose death made an impact on me was my friend Gilbert, who died in 1986.  He was the musical director of The Lamplighters Musical Theater and we became friends when I was working on the book that told the story of the first 25 years of the company.  I stayed around after the book was published and we became very good friends.  He was one of the most intelligent people I have ever met and knew everything about everything.  He taught me a lot about opera and he could tell you where every ship that ever sank around San Francisco could be found.  He had been the patter man for the Gilbert & Sullivan company and was an amazing actor.  At the time of his death, he was in the middle of building a doll house for his niece's daughter, a project he'd been working on for months.

___________________________________________________________________________

PHOTO OF THE DAY




8367

5 comments:

  1. Crackers and cheese is delicious! Lovely description of your friend Gilbert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea about the 4 crackers and slice of cheese and fruit - that would make a great lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best Foods mayo is Hellman's here. Mayo-yes. Miracle Whip is an abomination!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you use Temu? Are you satisfied with them? Is the quality good? The ads intrigue me, but I've heard so much negative about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #1. It is a lot of money - but I would do my best to invest and save it for future generations - after the round the world trips of course.

    #10 & #11 - I remember the fog in San Franciso - I also remember it being a bit chilly and I had to buy a sweatshirt. I have told Mrs PM that we should go to San Francisco if we venture across the pond again. It's a great city.

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete

A strange reunion

  We went to a concert on Friday.  And it was also a big reunion.  Stephen Peithman (middle) was once the commentator of a series of fund-r...