Friday, July 28, 2023

Saturday 9

 

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer questions, however, and here are today's questions!

Saturday 9: I've Got Your Number (1965)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

Chosen in memory of Tony Bennett, who passed away on July 21.

1) In this song, Tony sings that he recognizes his lover's insecurities because she's a lot like him. Are you unsure in social situations? Or do you meet new people easily?
Unsure in bold letters!!!  I do not meet new people easily and, in all honesty, am not entirely comfortable with people I know right away.

2) While singing was his livelihood, painting was Tony Bennett's passion. What hobby do you participate in with the greatest enthusiasm?
Writing pen pal letters and creating journals to share with others on Swap Bot.  I'm not particularly artistic, but I do love putting those journals together.

3) Tony was a proud son of New Jersey. Many singers hail from The Garden State, including Bruce Springsteen, Jon Bon Jovi and Frank Sinatra. What heroes, heroines or celebrities hail from your home state?
LOL.  I'm in California.  How many do you want???  How about from my town.  We have Tony Fields, who danced with Michael Jackson on a couple of his videos and was also in the movie A Chorus Line and Jan Gan Boyd, who was also in A Chorus Line.  Then there are authors John Lescroart (who wrote the Dismas Hardy books, among others), Derrick Bang and Michael Goodman.  Goodman wrote "The Midllife Bible" (which I typed).  Bang wrote a couple of books about Charles Schultz and also helped organize the Peanuts museum in Santa Rosa. And then there is David Breaux, who wrote the book "Compassion" and was recently murdered.

4) Though Tony dreamed of becoming a commercial artist, he had to drop out of school in his teens to help support his family. Looking back on your teen years, what did you want to do for a living? Is that what you ended up doing?
In my senior year in high school, I was planning to enter the convent, but ended up becoming a secretary and then a wife and mother.

5) During WWII, Tony served in Germany. The first time his voice was broadcast was during an aircheck for Armed Forced Radio. For the occasion he sang "St. James Infirmary." That was Tony's first. Let's contrast it with your last. What's the most recent song you sang?
I used to be a singer...not a good singer, but I was in choruses for most of my younger adult life, but at some point a few years ago -- I don't remember how many.  More than 5 -- I lost my voice.  Literally.  I can no longer sing more than 2 or 3 notes.  Very frustrating when I can't even hum to familiar tunes!

6) After the War, Bob Hope saw him perform under his real name, Anthony Benedetto. Hope told him that, no matter how great his talent, his name would hold him back because it was too long for a marquee. And so, Tony Bennett was born. Tell us about a marquee in your town. Is it announcing a movie, play, or concert performance?
This is too small a town for a big marquee, though there is a small lighted sign outside the Veterans Memorial Building, where there is a theater.  I don't know what's playing there now, though. 

7) In 2006, he recorded his Duets album, partnering with a variety of singers he admired. Tony said he enjoyed working with Paul McCartney at London's Abbey Road Studios, where the Beatles created their classic recordings. If you vacationed in London, what would you be sure to visit?
I've been to London several times.  We always get tickets at Leicster Square for cheap theater tickets.  I love visiting the Victoria and Albert Museum and I'd love to go on the new Ferris wheel, which had not been built the last time we were there.

8) "I've Got Your Number" was performed by Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moore on The Dick Van Dyke Show. According to Dick, they were so believable as a married couple that he received glares from a hotel clerk while checking in with his real-life wife, Margie. What TV or movie couple do you feel had "chemistry?"
Tony DiNozo and Ziva David; of course Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy.

9) Special summertime random question: Would you have more fun at a pro baseball game or an art museum exhibit?
If I could climb the stairs to get into the seats (which I can't now), a Giants game.

Check out other entries....


_____________________________________________________________________

PHOTO OF THE DAY



8354

6 comments:

  1. Ah, Tracy and Hepburn were lovely together, weren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm soo with you on #1 and #3! Regarding #2, how could I see a finished one or two of these journals of yours. I'd love to peek a look - may I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think everyone of an age had to choose Hepburn and Tracy.. miss them!! And I feel your pain about well, even trying to go to any sporting event.. Im well past my prime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you've found things to enjoy and make your days brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes, Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy. Good call! and Living in the moment is helpful.

    ReplyDelete

A strange reunion

  We went to a concert on Friday.  And it was also a big reunion.  Stephen Peithman (middle) was once the commentator of a series of fund-r...