Thursday, April 11, 2024

Amy Schneider

 Amy Schneider is the woman who has won the most games on Jeopardy.  During the recent weeks of invitational contests, she has been called back a couple of times and, except for the very last game she played, she always wins.  Watching her play is like watching Ken Jennings when he was winning his 70+ games.  I've always enjoyed watching her.

The other thing about Amy is that she is trans.  She speaks of her wife and she has mentioned, in passing, her transition.  Her sexual identity has been a huge bone of contention on Facebook discussion groups, with some people insisting she's not a woman; she's a man, and refusing to call her "Amy" but call her by the name she was given when she was born.

I saw recently that she has written a book. "In the Form of a Question: The Joys and Rewards of a Curious Life" and I was curious to read it.

I don't normally buy "full price" Kindle books on Amazon, but I was so interested in Amy and her life that I gave in and bought it and started reading it.

It is so very boring!  You'd think that someone so intelligent with such an interesting life would write an interesting book, but she hasn't.  I haven't finished it yet, but there are whole chapters I would have left out.  I did read her chapter on all of her favorite teachers, from grammar school to college.  Each teacher is given a very long description that I didn't care about.  And I skipped the long chapter on tarot.  Even her chapter on her first sexual encounter was boring.  She did get me to check out the animated TV show, Daria, which is her favorite show.  It's as boring as her book and her chapter goes into great detail about the show, the characters, and what happens in the show.

When I was midway through the book, I went to GoodReads to see what others had written about the book and most of the reviews agreed with me.  One woman said she didn't realize that a book about someone she liked could make her like that person less.  

*****

I finished the book and can't quite look at her the same way, having read about all the drugs she takes and her polyamory life, how she can't stand having sex with just one person (apparently her wife feels the same way).  While she talks about Jeopardy, it's a very small part of the book and I was disappointed by that too.

______________________________________________________________________________

PHOTO OF  THE DAY

Hard to believe she's 16

8569 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Day!

 I am writing this on May 1, May Day.  But when I looked on the "holidays calendar" site  I discovered there are so many special &...