Friday, April 5, 2024

Saturday 9

 




Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here are today's questions!

Saturday 9: Diamond Girl (1973)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's song is by Seals and Crofts, a pair of Texas boys who met when they both joined a local band called The Crew Cats. Have you ever visited The Lone Star State? If yes, where did you go?
I've been to Texas several times, usually to Houston, where I had several friends living.  I haven't been there in a very long time, though.  The friends have either died or moved out of Texas.

2) Lead singer Jim Seals compliments his girl by comparing her to a precious stone. What's the nicest compliment you have ever received? Who was it from?
Nicest compliments I've ever received were from people who like something I've written.

3) Diamonds are birthstone for people born in April. What's your birthstone? Do you wear it often?
Mine is the Amethyst.  I used to have an amethyst ring but I gave it as a gift to a friend who also had a February birthday.

4) In ancient times, Hindus believed diamonds brought good luck. Do you have a good luck charm?
No

5) On the other hand, some believe that one of the world's most famous gems, The Hope Diamond, is cursed. 14 of its owners have died from unnatural causes. Those who possessed the diamond committed suicide, were murdered, tortured to death in prison, and even torn apart by dogs! If you received a beautiful piece of jewelry that was rumored to be cursed, would you be concerned? Or do you think curses are silly?
Well, my husband's uncle once carried the Hope Diamond in his luggage (when he was 5 and his mother worked for the woman who owned the diamond) and he was never cursed, so I wouldn't be concerned.

6) Rare diamonds share an element with the common pencil. Both contain graphite. Sam is crazy about pencils, pens and felt-tip markers. Do you enjoy shopping for office supplies?
I love shopping in office supply stores, but rarely buy anything.

7) In 1973, the year this record was popular, Shelley Hack was a hard-working and well-paid model. She regularly appeared on the pages of catalogs, on magazine covers and then launched Revlon's popular Charlie cologne in print and on TV. What commercial have you seen recently? Did you watch it on TV, online or on your phone?
The commercial I think of most often is the Jardiance commercial because of its little tune.  I watch it on TV

8) Also in 1973, Motown great Stevie Wonder was in a car accident that left him with a scar on his nose. Tell us about how you got one of your scars.
I don't have it any more, but for many years I had a small scar on my left arm that I got when carrying a box with a high school friend.

9) Random question: What's your perfect day -- weatherwise?
Clear blue skies, with fluffy clouds, and temperature no hotter than the high 70s.  It would be perfect if the morning started with heavy fog that eventually burned off.
______________________________________________________________________________

PHOTO OF  THE DAY


My highest Block Puzzle Jewel score...
by FAR

8564

6 comments:

  1. #6 When I was the executive director of a non-profit, I know the store like the back of my hand.
    #7 That is a catchy tune.
    #9 Ditto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #5: You have a connection to The Hope Diamond! That's incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your story about the Hope diamond. So interesting. I enjoyed that.
    #9 sounds nice. We get a lot of fog here, I do not like driving in it. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I am impressed with the Hope Diamond connection. I think that is very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I’ve got the Jardiance jingle on my head

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your Hope diamond story. I like your weather too. I like to find animals in the clouds.

    ReplyDelete

"What's that you said?"

So I've reviewed another show.  The critic was out of town on opening night of Into the Woods  and asked if I'd review it.  It's...