Sunday, April 7, 2024

Thinking of people

I saw these today and it made me very sad.

For so many years, my friend Ann MacNab (co-founder of The Lamplighters) and I had potatoes as a joke between us.  I found all sorts of potato things to send to her (including finding a site that would send her a real potato, with her address on it).  I sent her a potato radio once.  I can't remember the other things I found out about potatoes that I would send to her.

So here are these great things to send to Ann, but she has been dead for many years.

As my mother got older and especially as her dementia increased, finding things to give her as a gift was always difficult, but she always loved flowers and finding flowery things to give her was always good.  Suddenly now there are all sorts of great flower gifts that you can give...cards that fold out to become full floral arrangements that are so beautiful.  Every time I see one of those ads, it makes me sad because any one of them would have been a perfect gift for my mother.

And of course it always makes me sad to see perfect smiley face things that would have been good to give to Paul.

I'm thinking a lot about some people these days.  Every morning when I pour myself a bowl of cereal, I think of Gilbert because I took his silverware after he died and always use one of his spoons.

I think of Sister Anne, my typing teacher and lifelong friend, every time I get a letter ready to go into an envelope, remembering how she taught me how to fold an 8-1/2"x11" piece of paper in thirds.

I think of Peggy whenever I fold socks because she taught me a better way to fold socks.  (Fortunately I almost never fold socks any more)

I think of Paul whenever I open a can.  He bought me a can opener shortly before he died.  It's a terrible can opener and he apologized, after it was installed and he tried to use it, that it was such a bad can opener.  He's been dead over 20 years and it's still a terrible can opener, but I just can't bring myself to replace it because he gave it to me.  Instead we use a hand can opener.

______________________________________________________________________________

PHOTO OF  THE DAY

Saw  this on Facebook.
I just loved it!!!

8566 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"What's that you said?"

So I've reviewed another show.  The critic was out of town on opening night of Into the Woods  and asked if I'd review it.  It's...