Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Canine Paralysis

 

I heard a great term today:  "canine paralysis"

Medically speaking, it's a dog who has trouble walking.  There are lots of pictures of dogs attached to wheels. I remember when the SPCA here had a puppy with no back legs (or was it front legs?) that they ended up taking to a place where he was fitted with wheels and could move around...though he managed to move around without legs.

But for me, the term "canine paralysis" refers to my inability to do pretty much anything because of Bubba being in my lap all the time.

When we first got him, he took to Marta and anywhere Marta went he went with her.  She was definitely his favorite person, but as he's now been here a year he has come to love all of us,  if not equally, at least close to how much he loves Marta.

I was disappointed in his early months with us because he seemed to prefer anybody's lap but mine.  He would jump in my lap and then within minutes jump down again.  I decided it was because I was so fat that my lap wasn't big enough for him.

But he's gotten over that.  He now loves being in my lap.  He sleeps upstairs with Ned and Marta at night and comes down with Ned in the morning.  I am usually asleep in the recliner and this body comes flying through the air and lands on my chest.  He settles in for as long as I'll let him,  The problem is that he takes up my whole chest and if I want to like check email, I can't quite get my cell phone into a position where I can actually read it...to say nothing of being unable to play my favorite solitaire game.

He has gotten to where he understands "I have to get up now" and he immediately leaps off my lap and then follows me around, looking at me and at the chair until I get my coffee and go to sit down and then he's in my lap again.  

If I do anything out of the chair, he will go into the living room and get in his bed and then...he has the most acute hearing of any dog I've known...if I get up and start to walk into the family room, he's immediately in my chair waiting for me to sit down.

He keeps me from snacking too much because I don't want to get up and disturb him.  LOL.

When Walt comes downstairs he gets his coffee and goes into the living room the read the paper.  Bubba can't get in his lap, but he gets on the couch right next to him so he can put his head on the arm of the couch and touch Walt's arm.  But when Walt heads upstairs, Bubba is back in my lap again.

There are times, I have to admit, that I'm not happy with how much he loves being in my lap.  There are times when as I am starting to sit in my recliner and he is already leaping into my lap, I just want to throw him off because I'd like a little bit of alone time.  But naturally I don't do that because I don't want to disturb him.

_______________________________________________________________________________

PHOTO OF THE DAY


8404

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday 9

 Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will hav...