Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Strawberries

Well, just before I went to the doctor, I put the hearing aid in again...and it worked.  It was working when we got to Kaiser, but the woman who was checking it believed my tales of a non-working hearing aid and she replaced the insides of the aid and...it worked!  Today it is working.  It's amazing how much better with two hearing aids.

On our way home from Kaiser, we stopped at the strawberry stand on the outskirts of Davis.  This is a small farm run by an Oriental couple and they sell every summer (except during COVID).  They have the very best strawberries and I convinced Ned to stop and buy 3 baskets.




This farm has huge strawberries at the start of the summer, and now, toward the end, they have much smaller strawberries that are so incredibly flavorful and sweet.  Supermarket strawberries pale in comparison.

Ned suggested we have strawberry shortcake for dessert, so I cut up 2 of the 3 baskets of strawberries and made some shortcake.  The strawberries are so sweet, I only added a little sugar, enough to get them to make syrup.  I hadn't had "real" strawberry shortcake (home made shortcake, real whipped cream) in a long time and it was delicious

We have one more basket of strawberries to finish.  I may be tempted to go back and get 3 more baskets, but probably not....we don't need to have two nights of shortcake in one summer.  Besides, I still have apples for one more apple pie!

 _______________________________________________________________________________

PHOTO OF THE DAY


Strawberries with my
Cheerios for breakfast

8403

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday 9

 Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will hav...