Sunday, September 17, 2023

Old Ladies

Sunday is my day to do a lot of non-pen pal writing.  I start by answering as many entries in Sunday Stealing (figuring people are more likely to continue participating if they get comments).  Today I also wrote to Lacie for her birthday.  And if I have Compassion letters to write, I write those.

I also write some letters for Letters Against Isolation, the group that writes letters to isolated and lonely seniors in rest homes, nursing homes, and receiving Meals on Wheels.  I usually write four letters a week, sent anonymously.  I talk about the squirrels, the dog, memories from when I was growing up and whatever else seems appropriate when I sit down to write.

You get addresses from the Letters Against Isolation website.  The group was started by two girls in high school who visited their grandmother in a rest home and it has grown to this amazing organization which sends out thousands of letters every week.  Many letters are written by young people who may write a hundred letters a week (the rules say you can't send more than 200).  But I only write 4 because that's how many I can send in one envelope with one stamp!

I always think about what I might like to receive, if I were lonely and/or isolated.  Today they were asking for letters for Judy, who is going to celebrate her 80th birthday in October.  80???  I'm 80!  It was strange to think of writing to this "old lady"...who is my age.  Younger, actually!!  It does put my age in perspective.

 _________________________________________________________________________

PHOTO OF THE DAY


Lacie made her own birthday cake

8400 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday 9

 Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will hav...