Sunday, September 10, 2023

Another apple pie

 I've written before about one of my favorite memories of my mother, sitting at the kitchen table, peeling apples for an apple pie  I was always amazed that she could peel a whole apple without breaking the skin.  And I hate peeling apples as a result because I just can't do it.

However, the other day I found a video about how to peel an apple.  In truth her way wastes a lot of usable apple, but we are drowning in apples so that wasn't a concern.  She did the peeling with a potato peeler, but that didn't work for me.  I tried the new way with a knife today and it works!  By the time I was peeling the last apples, I was peeling them without breaking the skin.


I missed my mother so much.  Throughout her life, it seems that when she made an apple pie, I would take her picture...and then snitch slices of apple that she had cut out of the bowl.  When Ned took my picture and then took a slice of apple, I wanted to laugh about it with my mother.  I hope somehow she knows.

And I seem to be getting my pie mojo back.  The pie looks beautiful and I know it will  taste better than the last one I did, where I didn't peel the apples.


 _________________________________________________________________________

PHOTO OF THE DAY


Lester

8396

1 comment:

Dead meat

  We went to the Buckhorn restaurant in Winters for our anniversary last night.  It's a wonderful restaurant, especially for prime rib a...