Friday, December 22, 2023

Speculaas

Many many years ago when Walt's mother was traveling to Europe, I asked her to get me Speculaas "planks."  Speculaas are molded Dutch cookies and I was into making cookies at the time.

Every Christmas, I made dozens of kinds of cookies and I wanted to add Speculaas to them.  She brought back two Speculaas planks.  I don't think I ever used them.  But they have made nice decorations on the wall of the kitchen.  We have lived in this house for more than 50 years, and they have never been off the wall.

After Ned asked me about them, I decided I wanted to make some, just to say I've used them.

So I found the recipe on line and I made the cookie dough.  They are OK, but I'll never make them again.  To cook them, you fill the planks with flour (instead of greasing them) and  then press the dough into the planks.  The recipe says to cook for 10 minutes, but I found that they weren't cooked under 20 minutes.  And since I only have two of the planks, I can only make 10 at a time.  I made 30 of them, but then just used the rest of the dough to make small round cookies.

They taste good -- a spice cookie -- but not good enough to spend the entire day making the full recipe of molded cookies.

When they were all finished, I had a nice bowl of cookies, and realized that probably I would be the only person who would eat more than one or two cookies a day, so I told Ned he could take the rest of the cookies to his party tonight.

And the Speculaas planks will continue to be a decoration on the kitchen wall.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

 PHOTO OF THE DAY


8487  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bob Dunning's farewell.

  (I did not have the opportunity to write a final, honest column about my 55 years at The Davis Enterprise. So I’m doing it here.) This is ...