Monday, February 5, 2024

Lasting Fame

This was a good mail day -- 5 pen pal letters, 2 postcards, and a new photo from one of my Compassion kids.  Best of all, one of the writers, a woman roughly my age, who lives in Pittsburgh, said she was listening to a recording of a performance of Lawsuit from the Whole Earth Festival in 1994.  How cool.  Lawsuit making new fans.  I always link to Lawsuit, when appropriate, and hope someone will actually give them a listen.

I have to laugh.  I have spent a bit of time getting fame for dead people.  The whole reason that I wrote the second Lamplighter history is that from the time the first book was published until he died, Gilbert did a lot of really impressive things and I wanted them recorded somewhere.  And now they are...and the book is in the Library of Congress.

Then, when I took the job of critic, there was another woman who had been reviewing forever.  She did lots of opera and classical things and wrote beautifully.  She had a web site with all of her reviews but it cost money to keep it up, so her family was going to let it expire.  I felt sad that her reviews would disappear, so I started a free web site on Blogspot and copied all of her reviews there.  I don't know if anybody ever reads them but if you google Marilyn Mantay, you can find them.  (you have to scroll past several obituary links, but Davis Classical Review is there)

The most recent thing I'm in the process of doing concerns poetry.  I recently discovered that a friend I've known for more than 25 years is a poet and has been posting dozens of poems to a site called Poetry Soup.  I decided that I am so impressed with the poems my sister wrote before she died, that I would post some of them on Poetry Soup.  I've only posted a few so far, but I already got a message from a guy who said one of them was "magnificent."  So Karen, too, will live in infamy.

__________________________ __________________________________________________

PHOTO OF THE DAY


My sister Karen, and two of our aunts,
Marge and Jean


8525

No comments:

Post a Comment

A strange reunion

  We went to a concert on Friday.  And it was also a big reunion.  Stephen Peithman (middle) was once the commentator of a series of fund-r...