Friday, September 27, 2024

Saturday 9


 Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!


Saturday 9: Cool Night (1981)


Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.


1) In this song, Paul Davis invites his old girlfriend to "come on over tonight." Have you more recently extended or received an invitation?
We have an invitation to attend Walt's brother-in-law's 70th birthday party in Santa Barbara next week.

2) He tells her she doesn't have to commit to any plans. Do you like having a schedule ahead of you with things to do delineated? Or do you prefer to see how your days naturally unfold?
My day is pretty normal, doing the same thing every day.

3) He wants them to cuddle by the fire. Will tonight be a cool night where you are?
It's in the 90s now (mid afternoon) but will cool down to the 60s, probably, tonight.

4) A quiet night in front of the fireplace is likely how Paul Davis spent many evenings. When he died in 2008, his best friend remembered him as a quiet man, "a homebody" who liked staying up late into the night enjoying conversation and music with friends. Describe your perfect evening.
Sitting in my recliner watching TV.

5) Mr. Davis also enjoyed playing pool and golf. Do you have a liking for either of those games?
I've never played golf, but I used to play pool a lot in college.  The last time I played it was right before Jeri's wedding.  If I had access to a pool table, I'd play it often.

6) When he retired from music, Paul Davis returned to Meridian, MS, the town where he was born and grew up. Since we Americans can be a nomadic lot, let's find out: Is the town where you were born the same place where you spent most of your growing up years?
I was born and raised in San Francisco and lived  there until I graduated from high school, then moved across the bay to Berkeley to start college. I have not lived in San Francisco since, though I still consider it "home."

7) In 1981, when Paul Davis was a hit, so were The Rolling Stones with "Start Me Up." What's your favorite Rolling Stones' song?
I don't know Rolling Stones songs.

8) Also in 1981, Snoopy was all the rage, with kids and adults alike. You could buy Snoopy magnets, pencils, pencil sharpeners, note pads ... even a Snoopy bulletin board. If today we went shopping for office supplies, what would you pick up?
Well, I don't really need anything, but I'm always looking for interesting stationery.

9) Random question: In a biopic of your life, who would play your mom and dad?
Oh lord.  When I was in grammar school, I wanted my mother to give me up for adoption so Judy Garland could adopt me.  I was lucky that she didn't.  As for my father, anybody who was not a rage-a-holic.

2 comments:

  1. I was in Berkeley in 2018. We visited the school and ate at an Ethiopian restaurant. We also took the Bart to SF. Have you ever been to Knott's Berry Farm. They have a nice Snoopy Store there. Great fried chicken too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I can't get no satisfaction but I try, and I try, and I try, and I try ..." I simply refuse to believe you never heard that song! Oh well, one of the good things about this week's Sat. 9 is that, when you read other people's answers, you may discover a Stones song you like.

    ReplyDelete

Saturday 9

 Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will hav...