Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Relatives

Walt's sister shared a picture the other day,


This is Walt's cousin and his wife, another cousin and kids with spouses (whom I don't recognize).  It got me thinking about relatives.

My mother was the 8th in a family of 10 and they were all close.  My sister and I weren't as close to the aunts and uncles as others were because my father didn't like my mother's family, whom he felt were "country bumpkins," but I did grow up knowing my aunts and uncles and many of my 32 cousins.  I loved getting together with my aunts and playing cards and I spent every summer with one of my cousins, 2 weeks at her house, 2 weeks at our house.  And, of course, for many years, my two cousins and I spent overnights with my mother, playing cards--our "Cousins Day."

But now my parents are both dead, my sister is dead, the cousins I knew the best are dead and of course all of my aunts and uncles are dead.  Essentially I have no relatives any more.

I'm fortunate that I have always been close to Walt's family and when I think of family I think of these people in the picture, as well as his sister and brother and their spouses, who live in California.  But I don't share their background and there is nobody in my life who shares mine.

It makes me feel very sad.

1 comment:

  1. I'm quite a bit younger than you (50) Both my parents and in-laws passed, and while my husband has a siblings and I have a few, we don't really keep in touch since my parents died. We have a teenager and fortunately a good amount of friends but I wish we had more events for our kid to attend with family.

    ReplyDelete

Saturday 9

 Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will hav...