Saturday, November 4, 2023

Back to theater

After two years of no theater whatsoever (first because COVID shut down all theatrical productions, and then because I'd retired as critic and was kind of hermit-ing and not wanting to go out with crowds of people), Walt and I went to the opening night of Oklahoma! at the Davis Musical Theater Company.

The woman who took over as critic after my retirement is in the production, in the ensemble, so obviously can't review it.  She asked if I would be interested and I said yes.  I don't  really want to go to night performances of theater in Sacramento any more, but seeing a show in Davis is OK and I was looking forward to it.

As it turned out, this was an excellent production, with wonderful voices and acting and a large ensemble, which had more men than you usually see in community theater musicals.

The principals (shown in the picture Jarod Wiggins as Curly and Makena Mueller as Laurey) have professional quality voices.

Morgan Bartoe was particularly entertaining as Ado Annie, the girl who falls in love with any man who shows interest in her.  Bartoe  was helped by the costumer putting her in a red and white costume which just seemed to create her character.

But all the singing was good, the dancing lively and while the production was nearly 3 hours long, it didn't seem like it.

It was strange to get to the theater.  Someone I didn't know was in the box office and I had to give my name, which I never did when I was a critic.  I didn't really recognize any of the people in the audience, which I often did before, and only really knew two people in the cast.  

I saw the producers, whom I had not seen in two years and wondered if I had aged as much as the two of them have...and fear I probably have!

Anyway, it was fun being back in the theater again.  Now I have to remember how to write a review!

_______________________________________________________________________________

PHOTO OF THE DAY


8442

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday Stealing

  Welcome to Sunday Stealing. This feature originated and published on WTIT: The Blog. Here we will steal all types of questions from every ...