Monday, November 6, 2023

writing a review

I spent a good part of the weekend writing the review of Oklahoma! to submit by Sunday evening.

I remember now why I quit being a critic and what I hated about writing reviews.

I can write.  And my reviews are actually pretty good. But I go through such turmoil writing them and I found myself doing exactly what I did for 12 years when writing this review. I agonized how to start it.  I knew the first paragraph I wanted (because it explained why I was writing the review) but then I got to the review itself and went over and over and over the ways I wanted to start it.  When I finally got the first review paragraph written, I took a break for several hours, working the puzzle, watching TV, having lunch, taking a nap.

This is what I did every time I wrote a review.

I finally had to return to my office because the review had  to be finished.  Once I got into the actual review, it went fairly easily.  I had little problem and I was pleased with what I had written. What was nice was that when I submitted it to the newspapers and to the director of the show, the director didn't have any corrections to make, but a suggestion for how better to end the review. I disagreed with him and he saw my point and said OK.  I think this is the first review I've ever sent him that didn't have at least a couple of corrections that needed to be made.

I enjoyed going to the show, but it didn't make me long to return to reviewing.  It was definitely time for me to retire.

_______________________________________________________________________________

PHOTO OF THE DAY


8444  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday Stealing

  Welcome to Sunday Stealing. This feature originated and published on WTIT: The Blog. Here we will steal all types of questions from every ...