Thursday, November 2, 2023

Saturday 9


Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer questions, however, and here are today's questions!

Saturday 9: True (1983)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, lead singer Gary Kemp tells us he's overwhelmed by his feelings as he and a girl dance "toe to toe." What song did you most recently dance to?
Good lord...I haven't a clue.

2) Falling in love makes him want to listen to "Marvin all night long," a reference to Motown great Marvin Gaye. What's your favorite love song, and who sings it?
Hmmm...."For You" by John Denver

3) This song was inspired by Kemp's feelings for singer Clare Grogan. When they first met, they discovered a shared love of literature and for his birthday, she gave him a book she thought he'd enjoy. Who received the most recent birthday gift you gave, and what was it?
I sent an Amazon gift certificate to our 12 year old granddaughter.  For an actual gift, I gave Ned ad t-shirt that said "Saul Goodman in 2024" for his birthday in August.

4) Despite the popularity of the song it inspired, the Kemp-Grogan romance never really took off. Gary was involved with another woman and Clare was seeing other men and reluctant to settle down. The timing just wasn't right for them. Do you believe luck plays a big part in romance?
Maybe.  More just how things "are" when you meet and get to know each other.

5) The cover art was created by Kemp's friend, David Band. David sketched it after seeing a man startled when a bird flew too close to him as he entered a pub. To Kemp, it represented how surprised he was by the sudden intensity of his feelings for Grogan. Band went on to become a world-renowned artist, with his work exhibited in galleries and museums in Australia, New Zealand, England and the United States. What museum have you most recently visited?
The Crocker Art Museum in Sacramento

6) In 2020, Kemp and bassist Guy Pratt launched their podcast Rockonteurs about the stories behind popular songs. Do you regularly listen to podcasts?
yes.  There are several I listen to, depending on my mood.  Some favorites "Unpacking the Toolbox" (about behind the scenes of the show "Scandal"), "On Fire," the Survivor podcast, "Naked Lunch" with Rosie O'Donnell, "Let's talk off camera' with Kelly Ripa, "Rachel Maddow," "Inside Jeopardy," "Says You," "Go Ask Ali" with Ali Wentworth, and a bunch more.

7) Super Mario Bros. debuted in 1983. Without looking it up, can you name gaming's most famous siblings?
No. 

8) Also in 1983, for the first time, London's Abbey Road recording studio was open to the public. Visitors were treated to a multi-media presentation called The Beatles at Abbey Road. During the two months it was open, more than 22,000 tickets were sold. What's the most recent ticket you purchased?
I've been to a lot of theater, but I never purchase a ticket because I go as a critic.  Friday, for example,  am going to see Oklahoma, but am reviewing it.

 9) Random question -- At your favorite restaurant, a genie will grant you one of these two wishes: 1) you can eat whatever you want without gaining weight or 2) you can order whatever you want for free. Which do you choose?
#1 for sure.  Most of the restaurants I visit aren't that expensive, but I should watch the calories.

____________________________________________________________________________


Trick or treat

8440

16 comments:

  1. #3 -- I bet it was fun for her to choose whatever she wanted and then pay for it herself.
    I didn't have a single trick or treater this year, so I appreciated that pic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m a bit jealous that you get to see live theater without having to buy a ticket.

    Oklahoma — is it the touring company of the production that was on Broadway recently, or is it a totally different production?

    ReplyDelete
  3. #3 Sh… I bought a gift certificate to give as part of a raffle, but I was going to the cottage so I put it in a safe space at home. Yup you guessed it, I can’t find it so I had to buy another one.
    #7 I wasn’t a fan of video games… once Space Invaders or Pac Man went of of vogue I didn’t play video games that much.
    #8 Oh… how can I get that job! I’ve been trying to get a group together to go and see South Pacific at the Goodspeed Opera House in East Haddam CT. So far no takers. Some of the plays that made it to Broadway were Annie, Man of La Mancha, and Shenandoah. They have also done Oklahoma a number of times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How to get the job -- have a friend take on the job of entertainment editor!

      Delete
  4. Enjoy Oklahoma! I would like to see the musical. I saw the movie and hated it. It might not be my thing. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you hated the movie, don't bother seeing the stage show!

      Delete
  5. No, seiously, how does one get to be a critic?!! I've wondererd that for a while now. I know there is work involved, but sweet perks, too. Also, your podcast list sounds so fun!! I wish I could get into them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A guy I knew was the entertainment editor and when his critic quit, he asked if I'd be interested because he had worked with me on various theatrical things. i had zero experience and I definitely would not make it in a bigger city newspaper, but my reviews are kind of "folksy" and people seem to like them.

      Delete
  6. I am surprised you listen to the Survivor podcast. I didn't know you watched the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ned has seen every episode since it started. If it were just ME I probably wouldn't watch it, but it's one of the shows Ned, Marta and I watch together.

      Delete
  7. I didn't know that Survivor had a podcast. I have been watching that how almost since the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The podcast is fun. It's called "On Fire: the official Survivor Podcast." Jeff Probst and someone else discuss all the things that happened on the current show.

      Delete
  8. I remember watching Oklahoma on television with my mom. Love Reger's and Hammerstein musicals.!

    ReplyDelete

Yum

 Ned is the caregiver for a building that is owned by the volunteer fire department.  We went there a month or so ago when they had a pancak...