Friday, November 17, 2023

Sunday Stealing - LEP

 


Welcome to Sunday Stealing. This feature originated and published on WTIT: The Blog. Here we will steal all types of questions from every corner of the blogosphere. Our promise to you is that we will work hard to find the most interesting and intelligent questions. Cheers to all of us thieves



Stolen from League of Extraordinary Penpals

Looks like nobody liked last week's.  Maybe this week will be better.



1. People I'd like to thank and why
I always want to thank Ned for all the work he does around the house and to take care of me.  I would be lost without him.  I'm also thankful to Jeri who manages to stay in touch with all of us even though she lives on the other side of the country.  She sends everyone in the family a video just about every day and she calls Walt or me regularly.

2. Something I rebelled against as a kid
I was never rebellious as a kid.  I was also so frightened of my father's anger that if I even thought of being rebellious if he got angry about it, I gave it up.

3. What I need to accomplish before the end of the year
I need to get our Christmas letter written

4. Guilty pleasures right now
With the actors' strike over, I am enjoying the shows as the start up again.  

5. Local landmarks
Davis doesn't have what you'd call "landmarks" but I show people the memorial trees for David and for Paul.  Now a days, I would also show them the "Compassion bench" created by the guy who was murdered a year ago.

6. Cause or purpose I deeply believe in
I foster kids through Christian Children's Fund, I donate to St. Luke's hospital, and I have fostered dogs for the SPCA for many years (and adopted several)  I have always been supportive of gay marriage and am terrified to think the Supreme Court might reverse it yet again.  I strongly believe in democracy and the need to protect the constitution.

7. Things I never learned to do
Ski, play sports, play a musical instrument (except the piano which I studied as a kid and have not touched in decades)

8. Seasonal traditions I’m always excited for
I love making pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving.  I love it when Tom and the family drive up from Santa Barbara to spend a Christmas celebration with us.

9. Something I’d like to be mentored on
Nothing these days.  I loved being mentored with cake decorating so many years ago.

10. Exotic animals I wish I could keep as pets
I don't believe in keeping exotic animals as pets.  They need to be wild, though I wouldn't mind living in an elephant area in Africa for awhile!

11. Something normal to me, that might be odd to others
My weird sleeping habits.  My TV addiction.

12. The last book I quit reading and why
I can't remember.  It was probably some 20 years ago when I started reading the "Left Behind" series.  I was halfway through Book 1 when I threw it across the room and never looked at it again.

13. Right now, I appreciate...
All the stuff Ned does for us

14. When “the holiday season” starts for me
When I get my Christmas letter written.

15. Holiday foods and treats I love the most
Pumpkin pie, stuffing (with or without turkey).  When I was a kid we always had a 2 lb box of See's chocolates after dinner on Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I haven't had that in decades.

16. “Terrible” movies that I actually like
If it's a movie I like, I never think of it as "terrible."

17. Cooking all day for holiday dinner vs. ordering carry-out
I've never ordered carry out for holiday dinners.

18. If I were trapped in a holiday movie, I’d pick...
White Christmas

19. Which holiday tradition I wish lasted all year long
The good humor that people greet each other with...though these days that may be gone.  We'll see over the next few weeks.

20. Favorite books, music, tv, movies and music this month
I'm working my way through Barbra Streisand's ~1000 page autobiography.  I just started watching Julia, Fellow Travelers, White House Plumbers and the new Frasier

_________________________________________________________________________________

 PHOTO OF THE DAY


Squirrel trying to decide if
he wants to try the pomegranate
(he did--and loved it)


8453 

5 comments:

  1. I can't ski either but I did try snowboarding once. And bizarrely I don't think I have ever tired pumpkin pie. We don't really eat it in the UK.

    :o)

    Cheers

    PM

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father-in-law had a close friend who lived in California. He would send a giant box of See's chocolate for the family every Christmas. It was so much fun to open it and pick a piece or two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of people have mentioned wishing the "good will" of the holidays would run on over into the rest of our lives. It would be nice to have manners and kindness all throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when the Left Behind books were a big deal. I knew what they were about, and I never had any wish to read them.

    ReplyDelete

Sunday Stealing

  Welcome to Sunday Stealing. This feature originated and published on WTIT: The Blog. Here we will steal all types of questions from every ...