Sunday, November 5, 2023

Her name is Barbra


I don't remember how I came to be a Barbra Streisand fan.  I somehow knew her before a lot of other people did.  I bought her first album and loved it because she was a "belter," like Judy Garland.  I didn't realize until Streisand came along that what I loved about Garland was that she was a "belter" (that said, I never much cared about Ethel Merman -- sorry, Jimmy!)    


I remember when she was giving a concert in San Francisco...only she wasn't the headliner...I believe that might have been the Kingston Trio.  She was the opening act to warm the audience up for the headliners.  But we weren't there to see the Kingston Trio (at least I  wasn't).  I was there to see Streisand, who I thought was wonderful.

I remember when she was starting to be famous, but still not the star she became.  She was a guest on the Judy Garland Show.  They did a duet, with Streisand singing a Garland song, along with Garland singing a Streisand song.  I remember when Streisand told Judy Garland that her goal was to be as famous as she was.

I liked several of the movies of hers that I saw, like Yentl and Funny Girl and others.  Then she decided to remake A Star Is Born, my very favorite Judy Garland movie.  I hated Streisand's version because it wasn't Judy Garland and I was angry with her for trying to remake one of Judy Garland's best movies.

Then she decided to direct and star in Prince of Tides, one of my favorite books.  Oh it was horrible.  I suppose if you hadn't read the book it would be an OK movie, maybe even a good movie, but she took out all of the special parts of the book so that her character, a small part in the book, could be the principal character.

I kind of lost interest in her.  I still listen to concerts on TV and things I read on line, but I'm no longer a Streisand fan any more.

She has now come out with a book, "My Name is Barbra," which I heard discussed on Sunday Morning.  It's nearly 1000 pages long and I'm sure it's a great read, especially for someone who likes (auto) biographies like I do.  I will probably order it eventually, but I have a few other books I'm in the process of reading (2 of which are autobiographies!) and I'm not ready to add a 1000 page book to my Kindle.

_______________________________________________________________________________

PHOTO OF THE DAY


8443 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday Stealing

  Welcome to Sunday Stealing. This feature originated and published on WTIT: The Blog. Here we will steal all types of questions from every ...