Saturday, November 18, 2023

"What's your name?"

It was nice being a theater critic.  I reviewed about 8 different theaters and when I arrived, I was always greeted warmly.  In one or two places, someone from the company would make sure to come and chat with me.  When I went to pick up tickets, they just handed them to me without asking my name.  When I called to reserve, they were always chatty.

So I went to Oklahoma and while we have known the producers there for more than 40 years so always chat with them, the guy at the ticket counter didn't know who I was and had to ask for my name.  The ushers didn't know who I was and explained the seating to me.  It seemed strange.

This week I have been asked to review School of Rock at a different theater.  I had to call for seats and the person I talked to didn't have a clue who I was, asked me to spell my last name and asked again what my first name was and how to spell it ("Bev"??).  I have become a "nobody" in only 2 years.

I had to think about whether I wanted to review School of Rock.  I knew vaguely what it was like, having seen the movie many years ago and wasn't enthusiastic, but I realized that if I didn't review it, it probably wouldn't get any review at all.  I was asked to review a show last week that I couldn't do and I know that show didn't get any review because the Enterprise critic didn't think to check her email in time for me to review it on opening night.  I was so religious about making sure to check all the theater web sites so I never missed an opening night and I know that is not happening now.

But though it is no longer my job and I wasn't thrilled to be seeing School of Rock, I didn't want the show not to get a review, so I agreed to do it.  To prepare, I found the video on Paramount+ and watched it.  Now I'm all prepared for it and actually looking forward to seeing how they are going to do it and if they have found young musicians who can play the instruments.

_________________________________________________________________________________

 PHOTO OF THE DAY


8454 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday Stealing

  Welcome to Sunday Stealing. This feature originated and published on WTIT: The Blog. Here we will steal all types of questions from every ...