Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Books and Movies

I get offers for cheap Kindle books through BookBub every day.  There are maybe a dozen books, some by authors I follow (like Harlan Coben and Patricia Cornwell), some by authors I've never heard of.  The books are either free or $1.98 and I have downloaded many books over the years.

Today there was a book titled "The View from Half Dome," by Jill Caugherty (an author I have not heard of).  It was on my list because I am interested in Historical Fiction and is described as "A “gentle, poignant tale” with “a sturdy, compelling protagonist” (Kirkus Reviews): After tragedy strikes in the 1930s, devastated young Isabel flees to Yosemite — where she learns from Enid Michael, the park’s only woman ranger-naturalist. But her secrets and grief may threaten her beautiful refuge…"  It is one of the books offered for free, for one day only.

As a Yosemite fan, I was interested and I went to Amazon to check it out.  While the story sounded interesting, I didn't order it (even for free) because it starts by saying When  the trolley bell clanged, Isabel nudged her younger sister and stepped after her into the street.  An author who starts a book in San Francisco and doesn't know the difference between a trolley and a cable car can't be trusted with getting Yosemite facts correct!

* * * * *

On Black Friday, Peacock was having a sale, $1.98/month for a year.  I was going to join Peacock in January because there is a Monk movie that is being shown on Peacock in a few weeks and I need to see that.  After my year of $1.98/month, my membership will be raised to $~60/year, so I will definitely end before that happens.

But now that we have Peacock, I was glad to see an interview with Melissa McCarthy on Today about her new Peacock movie, Genie.  I enjoy the actress and always say that if I were to choose someone to play me in a movie, it would be McCarthy.  So I was happy to know I could see her new movie.  It's the story of a genie who has been trapped for 2000 years and the guy who accidentally releases her and how she learns about the 21st century and gives him unlimited wishes.  I found it to be kind of corny and contrived (and was disappointed), but I was watching it at my lunch time, when I usually take a nap and I fell asleep during the middle of it, waking up about 10 minutes before the end and I found the end very good.  Now I'm sorry that I missed the middle and wonder whether it continued to be corny and contrived or if it becomes good sooner than the last 10 minutes.

I did enjoy their conversation about her visits with Jesus, whom she knew.  That was kind of cute and funny.

I don't think I'll see the movie again so I can see the middle of it, but I'm glad I got to see the end so I know how it all turns out.

_______________________________________________________________________________


 PHOTO OF THE DAY


Steve's new look

8464

No comments:

Post a Comment

A strange reunion

  We went to a concert on Friday.  And it was also a big reunion.  Stephen Peithman (middle) was once the commentator of a series of fund-r...