Thursday, May 23, 2024

A big day

 

Yesterday was such a quiet day.  Jeri, Phil and Walt went to Oakland to see the A's baseball game.  They left around noon for a 6 p.m. game, but they wanted to stop for lunch.  

There was a group that went, some 14 in all, giving Jeri a chance to visit with so many of her friends. I imagine that they all had a wonderful day, especially since the A's won.

It was a quiet day for me, sitting at home answering letters and then, since everybody else was at the baseball game, Ned cooked hot dogs for himself, Marta and me for dinner.  I went to sleep about 10 and missed the guys getting home from the game 15 minutes later.

Today was not a quiet day.  This was the day Jeri and I were going to have our "girls lunch," which we do every time she comes to town.  I also wanted to do some shopping.  Jeri said we should go to Fenton's for lunch.  I wrote to Char, "Jeri is taking me to Fenton's for lunch" and she texted back "Cool."  I was thinking about how long it had been since she had joined us for lunch at Fenton's and wondered when we would be able to do a Fenton's lunch again.  

When we got in the car, I suggested to Jeri that we do lunch first since it would be too crowded in downtown Davis at noontime to find a place to park and that sounded like a good idea to her.  We drove to Fenton's and when we got there, guess what....

It was a total surprise.  Char and all 3 of her daughters.  It had been Ned's idea and they decided they weren't even going to tell Walt because then he'd want to come and this was to be a girls lunch.  What a wonderful lunch.  As usual, Char and I had our crab salad sandwiches and milk shakes.  The girls had such a good time chatting. Later Char sent a message saying that she loved how the four girls relate.  They have known each other pretty much since birth and grew up in their early years like sisters.  They have traveled different paths, but the connection remains strong.  

When lunch was over, Jeri and I drove back to downtown Davis to the UCD store, where I wanted to look at what they had left of their egghead stuff, which they were selling for the 30th anniversary of  Robert Arneson's eggheads on campus.  We parked a block and a half away from the store and I had to walk a block and a half, which I don't think I've done in years (my legs will be sore tomorrow).  They didn't have everything I hoped to find, but I ended up buying myself a shirt.  I do love the eggheads!


They didn't have the postcards I hoped to buy, but I was happy with the shirt.  After we left the store, we went to the coffee shop next door and had a nice coffee.

We got home around  4, having been gone about 5 hours.  I hadn't had my nap, but no time for a nap because we were going to Ned's friend Greg's house for dinner (Ned & Jeri's friend...and our friend).  We got there around 5:30 and sat outside enjoying hors d'oeuvres before dinner.


Then Greg's wife and others got dinner on the table for all eleven of us.


It was a delicious dinner, topped off with cherry pie for dessert.  We stayed until it was starting to get cool and then we headed on home.  I would have gone to sleep at 9:30, but I wanted to get this written.  It's now 10:30 and I'm headed to sleep.  This was the busiest day I have in....years.

Jeri and Phil will be here tomorrow, but are taking the train tomorrow night to head up to Oregon to spend a few days with Phil's mother.  Things will be very quiet next week, but it's been so nice having this brief chance for a visit.

_____________________________________________________________________________

PHOTO OF  THE DAY


Ned and Greg

8608

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to tell you that there is a new Myron Bolitar book by Harlan Coben. It was released last week I think. It was good!

    ReplyDelete

New Glasses

I went to the eye doctor this week.  Ned came with me. The nice thing about having Ned with me when I go to anything  is that he knows I lik...