Friday, August 23, 2024

Saturday 9


Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here are today's questions!

Saturday 9: Sh-Boom (1954)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here


1) 70 years ago this month, the Crew Cuts were singing that life could be a dream. When you awaken, can you recall your dreams?
Sometimes.  Lately I've been sleeping much better and find that when I sleep well, I am more likely to remember dreams.  (The other night I dreamed Ned put away the jigsaw puzzle I was working and I woke up very angry with him!)

2) The lead singer refers to his girl as "darling," "sweetheart" and "baby." Have you used an affectionate endearment lately? If yes, who were you speaking to?
I frequently call the dog "baby"

3) Two members of this Canadian quartet are brothers, born 15 months apart. Do you have siblings? If yes, how close in age are you?
My sister was 4-1/2 years younger than I, but she was murdered in 1971.

4) A hit in Toronto, the Crew Cuts traveled by car to appear on TV in New York. How are your wheels? Would you give your vehicle a tune up before embarking on a 1,000 mile (500 miles each way) road trip?
The long trip we take is to Santa Barbara, 400 miles away.  We never get the car tuned up before we leave.

5) In 54 and 55, they had five Top 10 hits. Then the Crew Cuts fell off the charts. Founding member Rudi Maugeri suspects it's because they were a "teen act" and teenage music tastes can change fast. Who did you listen to when you were in high school
Johnny Mathis, and crooners like Perry Como.

6) A well-maintained crew cut should be trimmed every 2-4 weeks. Is there an appointment with a hairstylist on your calendar?
My daughter-in-law cuts my hair, so no stylist appointments on my calendar.

Let's look at the summer of 1954.

7) 70 years ago, Chicago Bears great Walter Payton was born. Today more than 1200 students are enrolled in Chicago's Walter Payton College Preparatory High School. Was your high school named after anyone?
My high school was St. Vincent, for Vincent de Paul, a French priest who spent his life serving the poor.

8) J.R.R. Tolkien's Fellowship of the Rings was published. It's the first of three volumes in the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Have you read the books and/or seen the movies?
I've read all the books, but I think I've only seen the first movie.  (Sorry, Country Dew)

9) Sports Illustrated was first published. As a special promotion, the premier issue included baseball cards. With the introduction of online communities and trading apps, collecting baseball cards continues to grow in popularity. Are there any card collectors in your life?
Not now.  One of my sponsored children through Compassion Int'l was into basketball and I occasionally sent him cards, but he's an adult now.

4 comments:

  1. #6: You're like royalty! You have a stylist on call and available whenever you need her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about your sister. You are lucky your DIL cuts your hair. I cut my own hair during the Covid shut down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgive you. I have to forgive all the Sat 9ers, looks like. Ah well. Makes me unique, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about your sister.

    I like the crooners, too.

    ReplyDelete

How I love NCIS

I don't know for how many more ?years ?months there will be NCIS marathons, but at least two stations have marathons all day, from 10 a...