Friday, August 9, 2024

Saturday 9


Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here are today's questions!

Saturday 9: Annie's Song (1974)
(I love John Denver!)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) 50 years ago this month, we were all listening to John Denver rhapsodize about nature. He singles out walking in the rain as a particularly lovely experience. Do you enjoy walking in the rain?
As long as it's not pouring, I love walking in the rain.

2) Denver wrote this song on a ski lift in Aspen. He clearly relished the ride, but ski lifts are problematic for those who suffer from acrophobia, or a fear of heights. Acrophobia plagues approximately 5% of Americans. Are you one of them?
Not really

3) John Denver recalled that this song just came to him as he looked down on the beauty of nature. Can you recall a time when something you saw in nature touched your heart?
The first time I saw the Indian Ocean in Australia, it was not particularly special, but it just made my heart rise, because I was in Australia.  I saw a lot in nature that touched my heart in Australia.  Like these


4) Wildly successful here in The States, John Denver's popularity didn't extend to the United Kingdom. In fact, "Annie's Song" was his only major hit. But it was a big one. Denver's version reached #1 in 1974 and then in 1978 James Galway hit #1 on the UK charts with an instrumental version. Do you have a favorite instrumental recording?
I can't think of a specific "instrumental" recording.

5) John Denver's first-ever guitar, a gift from his grandmother, was displayed at the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix. Have you visited a museum yet this summer? If not, do you have plans to?
No and No

6) In addition to the guitar, Denver also played the violin (or "the fiddle," as he called it). If a genie appeared to magically enable you to play the instrument of your choice, which would you choose?
I wouldn't mind playing the piano (which we have).  I took lessons as a kid and my father spent all my life complaining about the money he "wasted" on my piano lessons.  Our kids play the piano.  Walt may play it once a year.  (His father played the piano.)  I haven't touched it in years.  My father taught himself to play the piano and was a kind of professional piano player after he retired, playing in a bar.  He was happiest when he was playing the piano.

Let's look at the summer of 1974.

7) Elizabeth Berkeley was born. She's best known as Jesse on the Saturday morning teen sitcom, Saved by the Bell. What Saturday morning TV shows do you remember fondly?
In 1974 our youngest child (of 5) was 2 so our Saturday morning  TV shows were all cartoons.

8) Hall of Fame pitcher and Cardinal great Dizzy Dean died. How is your baseball team doing this summer?
Well, my team is the Giants and I don't have a clue how they are doing this summer.  I haven't seen a game.

9) The biggest summer movie was The Longest Yard starring Burt Reynolds. What's your favorite Burt Reynolds movie?
I LOVED The Longest Yard and it makes me sad that the remake is all they play now.  The Burt Reynolds version was great.

______________________________________________________________________________

PHOTO OF THE DAY




4 comments:

  1. Your Giants are doing OK. Not great, not bad. OK. Unfortunately the NL West is a really good division and OK probably won't be enough for the post season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad's a professional musician, too--piano and organ, especially at church.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't watched much baseball this summer either. I would love to play piano. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

How I love NCIS

I don't know for how many more ?years ?months there will be NCIS marathons, but at least two stations have marathons all day, from 10 a...