Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Eruption


Michael Crichton (author of "Jurassic Park," "Andromeda Strain," and many others) died in 2008.  After his death, his wife found notes for a book he intended to write about a massive eruption of a volcano which is about to destroy the Big Island of Hawaii.

Crichton's wife said that he was "far enough along that I was left with a cliffhanger that was completely unexpected" and so she wanted the book to be finished and knew she needed another author to finish it. She was a fan of James Patterson and knew that he had what the book needed--that "page turning, and attention to character" and she felt "why would I go anywhere but 'big.'" She needed two great minds collaborating together to get the book finished.

Patterson says he's been a big Crichton fan forever, that he'd read all of his novels.  He says that this book is the kind of book you don't always get...the kind where you want to keep reading, but you don't want it to end.

The book was released today (June 3) and I ordered it immediately, because I've been a fan of Patterson's and felt that while he now does collaborations (which I don't always like), this would be a different sort of collaboration.

I started the book this morning and though I have a large stack of unanswered letters, I found I couldn't put the book down.  It's a little over 400 pages, and I'm guessing I will finish it in 3 days.  It's definitely a book I haven't read in awhile where I simply can't put it down.

Answering letters will have to wait for a couple of days!

______________________________________________________________________________


Lacie holding the trophy her class
got for 2nd place in a math competition.


8618

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dead meat

  We went to the Buckhorn restaurant in Winters for our anniversary last night.  It's a wonderful restaurant, especially for prime rib a...