Friday, June 21, 2024

Saturday 9


Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Saturday 9: I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive (1952)

Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.



1) In this song, Hank Williams sings that his fishing pole is broke and the creek is full of sand. OK, so he can't spend his Saturday fishing. What are your Saturday plans?
None, that I know of.  Same as Monday-Friday.

2) He regrets how shabby his shoes are. Do you shop for shoes online, or do you prefer going to the store and trying them on?
I almost NEVER buy shoes.  I haven't bought a pair of shoes in over 10 years.  I wear Birkenstocks and when they wear out buy another pair.  My foot is so wide, I can't trust buying shoes online.

3) This was the last Hank Williams song to be released during his lifetime. Though he was only 29 when he died, he left an enduring mark on American music and is considered one of country music's greatest singer/songwriters. Who is your favorite country music performer?
I enjoy country music, but am not into performers, so I guess I'll have to say Dolly Parton, the only performer I actually know.  (though I do enjoy Trisha Yearwood's cooking show)

4) Elvis was a big fan and his favorite Hank Williams song was "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry." What's your favorite Elvis song?
I was never an Elvis fan and though I know many of his songs, I can't think of a favorite.

5) Johnny Cash was a big Hank Williams fan, too. He performed Hank's gospel song, "I Saw the Light" often in concert and during his guest starring role in a 1974 episode of Columbo. Did you watch Columbo, or do you stream it or catch it in reruns?
We watched Columbo regularly when it was on.  Somehow I don't enjoy the reruns.

6) Hank was a prolific songwriter, composing songs on his guitar and then printing the lyrics by hand on notepaper. He never learned to read music. Can you read music?
Simple music.  I took piano lessons for a few years in grammar school and sang in many choirs.

7) When he was a teen, Hank sang and played his guitar on the sidewalk in front of a local radio station, making a little money and hoping to be discovered. His plan worked and he was occasionally invited in to play with the radio station's house band. Were you a hard-working teen?
Not particularly, unless you count the work I did at my high school, which was a lot.

8) Hank suffered from a congenital spinal condition and began self-medicating with alcohol during his teen years. He was warned against this early on by country superstar Ray Acuff, but Hank was unable to deal with the pain without liquor. Can you recall wise advise you wish you'd taken, but didn't?
No.

9) Random question: What's your favorite Mexican food?
Chile relleno
___________________________________________________________________________
PHOTO OF THE DAY

RIP


8635 

6 comments:

  1. My husband likes Chili Rellenos. He usually gets a combo late and I eat the taco. I liked singing in choir. my granddaughter sings on the worship team at church. I am all for comfy shoes. My Sketchers are wide for my short wide feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know its kind of funny. I find that some reruns leave me flat as if I have outgrown them somehow. I really don't understand it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dolly Parton is a great answer! I had trouble with that one. I like the old county, so do not listen now. I did like Garth Brooks when I was in college. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your photo of the day. He will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dolly was my first thought for a country singer, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know Trisha Yearwood had a cooking show!

    ReplyDelete

Dead meat

  We went to the Buckhorn restaurant in Winters for our anniversary last night.  It's a wonderful restaurant, especially for prime rib a...