Friday, June 14, 2024

Saturday 9

 



Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!


Saturday 9: Wait Till You See Him (1967)

This song was chosen in honor of Father's Day. Hear it here.

1) This is Nancy Sinatra's celebration of her father, Frank. She singles out the sound of his laugh as something special. Do you know anyone who has a great laugh?
I can't think of anybody.

2) Frank Sinatra recorded this song himself a decade earlier. It was one of more then 1,400 recordings he made over his career. When you think of him, what song comes to mind?
Oh so many, but I guess "My Way" was the first that came to mind.

3) Nancy always called her famous father "Daddy," while her younger sister Tina referred to him as "Pop." How did/do you call your father?
I always called him Daddy.

4) Nancy went on to have two daughters of her own. The girls recall that their grandfather was loving and supportive, even when they went through a punk rock phase with spiky hair, lots of leather, and studs. Frank defended their extreme choices as a healthy means of self-expression. Did you have arguments with your parents over your clothes or hair? If you're a parent yourself, have you always approved of your kids' fashion choices?
Pretty much.  When Jeri was very young I wanted her in frilly dresses, which she hated.  After she chose a black dress with daisies on it for Easter when she was about 5, and was so happy with it--and looked great in it, I decided that since she was the one who had to wear it, I would just let her wear what she wanted.  I never had a problem with her brothers.  My mother chose a lot of things for me to wear, even as an adult, and I never really liked when she picked for me.

5) Back when our own Crazy Sam was in high school, her father gave her driving lessons. What grade would you give your driving today?
Our son and his wife moved in with us about five years ago and he felt that I was not a safe driver, so I stopped driving and have not driven since.  When I took my drivers test, it was in SAn Francisco.  My father taught me to drive and he wouldn't let me go for a test until I could parallel park with our standard transmission car on the steep SF hills.  The DMV office was on the flat part of the city and they took me out, had me drive around the block and then gave me my license.  I have often thought of the people who had NO clue how to drive on hills being given drivers licenses!

6) For family barbecues, Sam's dad dons his "Kiss the Chef" apron and mans the Weber. What's the last thing you grilled?
Good lord, I can't remember.  If we're talking outdoor grills, it's been decades.

7) Because he takes his grilling so seriously, Sam once invested in a pair of forged steel tongs for Father's Day. Does anyone on your gift list have a passion that makes them easy to shop for?
Our son Tom is a 49er fanatic and buying him anything 49er is easy.  Not sure he's happy with what I buy him, but he's the one I always know what to get for.

8) Traditionally the most popular Father's Day gift have been ties, wallets and belts. However experiences -- like tickets to a concert or a sporting event -- are gaining in popularity. Which would you prefer to receive: something to own and hold or an experience to remember?
Probably to own and hold, since I don't go out and experience things much any more.

9) Random question: Have you recently mistakenly called someone by the wrong name?
I don't think I've called anybody by the wrong name, but I posted a picture of two of our kids and called one of them the wrong name.

__________________________________________________________________________________

PHOTO OF THE DAY


My father


8628

6 comments:

  1. Nice picture of your dad. I know how sad my dad was when he could not drive anymore. I got to drive his car while I took care of him. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you came to appreciate young Jeri's fashion sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #2 When I hear Frank Sinatra I think of the Rat Pack
    #8 Yeah, the older you get the more gifts do not mean as much, I would much rather be dinning out with friends

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother gave up on me and dresses after a while. I guess it wasn't worth the fight. Now I don't even own a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S.
    #5 I learned to drive a standard on my brother’s ‘61 MGB, our street had a stop sign on the hill to get out on to the main road and I learned very quickly how to use the gas, break, and clutch all at once with two feet.

    ReplyDelete

Dead meat

  We went to the Buckhorn restaurant in Winters for our anniversary last night.  It's a wonderful restaurant, especially for prime rib a...