Monday, June 17, 2024

Bubba


Ned and Marta got home from Colorado last night. Marta has been there for about 3 weeks, helping her mother move into a senior living place, but the altitude has been bothering her and she decided it was time to come back to California.  Ned flew out on Friday and the two of them came home on Sunday.

Bubba missed them.  Terribly.  He always greets people when they come home, but he went crazy last night.  He ran around the family from top speed several times, stopping to jump in Ned's lap or Marta's lap and then jump down and fun around the room again.  He was so cute.

We had no information about him other than that he was found tied up to a fire hydrant with a note saying his name was Bubbles (I call him Bubba, Ned and Walt call him Bubs).  The vet decided he was about 6 years old.  He's such a well trained dog that we can only assume that whoever owned him died and whoever was taking care of things didn't want the dog and left him for someone to adopt.

We were so lucky.  Marta found him on line and apparently several others also wanted him and the woman who was fostering him had to choose who would adopt him and we were the lucky ones.  We have had zero complaints about him.

He is the first dog we've had who has a daily routine.  He's a lap dog and he knows who he's going to be with every moment of the day.  I get him first thing in the morning (he sleeps all night with Ned and Marta) and when Walt gets into the living room to read the paper, Bubba gets on the couch next to him.

At dinner time, as soon as Ned calls dinner, Bubba goes to find his toy (which he chose from PetCo when Marta took him there), climbs into Ned's chair and starts squeaking it.  It's like we are getting together to do something together and he feels it's his time to be with his toy.   He does it every night.


It is surprising how much he understands.  No matter where he is in the house, if I remove the lid from the big container of walnuts to feed the squirrels and take a handful in my hand, Bubba is at the back door before I am, hoping to catch a squirrel.  (and he desperately wants to learn how to climb a tree!)

It's not surprising that he understands "do you want dinner" and no matter how far he gets from us, if we call him, he comes immediately.  But the other day when Ned and Marta were gone, I was getting ready for bed.  I was taking my hearing aids out of my ears and I said "I'm going to sleep."  I hadn't even started getting out of the chair yet, but Bubba jumped down and when I got into the living room, he was already cuddled on the quilt I use and waiting for me...and he slept the night with me.

I also said the other day that there was a squirrel outside and I should feed him.  I hadn't gotten out of my chair yet, but Bubba immediately ran to the back door waiting for me.

He gets treats and he knows if someone comes into the family room whether they are going to give him a treat or not.  If they are not, he doesn't pay attention to them.  But if they are, he jumps up and down excitedly (he lives for treats).  

I just love this dog and feel we were so lucky to get him.

___________________________________________________________________________


PHOTO OF THE DAY

He got Walt a gift for father's day....



8631

1 comment:

  1. He sounds like a great dog! How lucky he was to end up with your family, a perfect fit!

    ReplyDelete

59 years

 Today Walt and I will have been married 59 years.  The years have definitely flown by.  It doesn't seem possible it's almost 60 yea...