Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Judy Garland


June 10th was Judy Garland's 102nd birthday and when I saw this collage on Facebook, I had to post it.

A friend and I walked to school together every morning and in 1954, she saw a movie that she had just seen over the weekend. On our walk, she told me the plot of the movie and I knew I wanted to see it. I first saw Judy Garland in A Star Is Born and have been a die hard fan ever since.  I've probably seen A Star is Born 100 times (I used to go to night school and  then take the cable car late at night outside a theater that showed the movie...all the time.  I always saw the last 1/3 of the movie -- it costs 25 cents to get in -- and then got the cable car to go home).  I've seen it in the theater, on TV, on video and when it was re-released with new stuff added, I went to the opening and sat right behind James Mason to watch the film.

I've seen her in concert 3 times at the San Francisco opera house, once at a theater in the round, and once when she brought her Carnegie Hall concert to San Francisco (which is when I took the photo of the day.  I got her autograph and took her picture.  She was very nice.  I had sat in the lobby of the Fairmont Hotel for 2 days waiting for her to arrive and about half an hour after she checked in, she left, not liking her room, and went to another hotel.  She waved to me when she left.)

I'm 81 years old and I've been a fan since I was 11 years old.  She's still my favorite singer.

________________________________________________________________________________

PHOTO OF THE DAY


I've probably posted this before.
I took this in 1961

8626

 

1 comment:

Saturday 9

 Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will hav...