Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Beverly Day

It's raining again and predicted to rain thru the weekend.  I can't remember how long it's been since I was able to sit in my chair and watch rain for so long.  I'm sorry for the places that are having flooding problems, but it will be nice not to hear about "drought" when summer rolls around!


Ned finally fixed up some poo pads across the door to my office since this seems to be where Bouncer likes to pee if she can't get outside in the rain.  She's peed on the poo pads once, but not again in 2 days.  Poor dog.  She is just getting so old. I have gotten so fond of her in the time Ned and Marta have lived here and makes me teary thinking about her having to be put down.



I was checking out the holidays for March 21 (there are a ton of them, including World Puppetry Day, Down Syndrome Day, Twitter Day, Vermouth day, Healthy Fats Day, Crunchy Taco day...and lots more) I found out that March 21 is "Beverly day." I never knew I had a special day.  

National Beverly Day is celebrated every year on March 21 around the world. Beverly is a name that in today’s time has lost some of its popularity. A name that was initially used as a surname, but over time, it evolved into a first name too. The name itself comes from the Old English language and is a combination of two terms: ‘befer,’ which means ‘beaver,’ and ‘leah,’ which means ‘clearing.’ In a literal translation, the name means “beaver clearing.” However, the Old English language is more nuanced than that, and the name is rather indicative of a beaver stream or meadow. A beaver meadow is a meadow that grows on top of an abandoned beaver pond. It symbolizes rejuvenation and nature’s beautiful balance.

Gee...and I remember when Father Bose, at St. Brigid's Church, always referred to me as "Beaver Lake."

The history of the name Beverly is, for the most part, unknown. It appears to have been a widely used family name and originated in England during the Anglo-Saxon Period in the 5th century. As a family name, it persists to this day, but when it made its transition as a first name, it was solely given to males. For centuries, the name Beverly was masculine, and it wasn’t until the 1800s that the name started to be used for females.

So since this is my special day, I guess I'll go treat myself to lunch...

 ____
8233

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday 9

 Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will ha...