Thursday, March 23, 2023

Puppy Day

Today is National Puppy Day.  Bubba is 6 years old, so not a puppy any more but he's the youngest dog we have so he's our puppy.

He has such a routine established for himself, when he is with whom.  He sleeps at night with Ned, but sometimes in the middle of the night he comes to the living room and either sleeps on one of the chairs or on the couch--sometimes with me, sometimes before me and then settles in with me.  But he is never there in the morning.  He has gone back upstairs.  Walt says when he opens his bedroom door in the morning Bubba is sitting there waiting for him so he can jump on the bed and look out the window.

When Ned comes down to make coffee, he follows him and races into the family room to leap on me.  Sometimes I'm awake, sometimes I wake up with this furry body landing in the middle of my chest. He stays in my lap or on my chest until I get up to make breakfast for myself, then he goes back upstairs. I don't think he is in Marta's lap, but in a bed by her desk.  If he hears me in the kitchen getting a snack, he is right there and stands around to see if I'm going to give him something.  If not, he heads back upstairs, only coming down to bark when the mailman delivers the mail.

He will follow Walt downstairs and loves to be around him, whether in his lap or next to him in the living room while he's reading the paper.  It's amazing how close the two of them have become

He spends pretty much all afternoon upstairs except for going out to pee.  Sometimes he jumps in my lap for a bit but spends most of his  time upstairs until about 4 p.m., when he comes down because he knows that at some point within the hour dinner will be served to him.

We eat at 6 and while we eat, he is in one of the recliners watching us.  If he goes to the table, it's likely Bouncer will attack him, so he stays in the recliner.  As soon as someone -- Ned or Marta -- finishes eating and goes to sit in the family room to finish watching Match Game he is instantly in that person's lap until Ned and Marta go upstairs and then he follows them and I don't usually see her until morning.

It's amazing how consistent his routine is.
_____
8235

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday 9

 Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will ha...