Monday, March 27, 2023

Bouncer


 We've made it through the first night without Ned and Marta and Bouncer is still OK.  She paced back and forth down the hall many times last night, waiting for Ned to come home.  She and Bubba didn't get into any fights.

I was terribly concerned at one point.  When she was eating, her back legs went out from under her and she had a difficult time standing up again.

Her back legs have been weaker and weaker.  It's difficult for her to get out the dog door and she goes out with her front paws and then drags her back legs out behind her.  But I've never seen her actually collapse before.

I was so afraid I'd have to call Ned.  We were taking care of his pug one Christmas while Ned and Marta went to Hawaii.  the dog got very sick and had to be taken to the hospital.  We called Ned and he made arrangements to fly home, but  the dog died before he got here.  He's always been upset that the hospital didn't save him before they cremated him so he could  tell him goodbye.

The last thing I wanted to do was call him while he and Marta were having a couple of days away.  But once Bouncer got on her feet again, she walked fine...or as fine as she does these days...and paced back and forth, back and forth, down the hall for a couple of hours, hoping Ned would come in the front door.

I decided to sleep in the recliner so I could keep track of her on her bed in the family room.  She goes outside to pee many times a day and once or twice at night gets Ned to bring her downstairs to pee.  I was very worried that she went from about 9 p.m. until 9 a.m. without waking up.  She once stood at the sliding glass door and I opened it for her, like Ned does, but she wouldn't go outside.  She went from the family room bed into her living room bed, which is where she spent the rest of the night.  I was sure I'd find her dead in the morning.  But no, she finally woke up and went outside.  I expected her to pee a lot, but it was just a normal amount of peeing.

Surprisingly the dogs are doing well.  Bubba tries to stay away from Bouncer, and if he is in my lap or Walt's lap, growls if Bouncer is in the room, but if he is on the floor with Bouncer he walks with him as if they were friends.  I'm wondering if these two nights without Ned is going to have any effect on the dogs' relationship when he gets home. 

*********************************

If you're into celebrating daily holidays, today is Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalanianaole day.  It's also National Whiskey day, so you could combine both holidays and enjoy.

_____
8239

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saturday 9

 Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will ha...