Wednesday, May 17, 2023

A I

Remember when all we had to worry about was nuclear war, mass killings, recession, depression and El Niño?  Now it seems we have a new thing to worry about.  As I watched the news this morning, I thought about what my grandkids will be thinking when they are my age...what will be the thing that will make them stop and think "I've never thought of THAT before!" ?

It seems that Geoffrey Hinton, the "godfather of AI" (artificial intelligence) has sounded an alarm about the dangers of artificial intelligence and cautions that "the world needs to find a way to control the tech as it develops."

"AI is a fantastic technology – it’s causing great advances in medicine, in the development of new materials, in forecasting earthquakes or floods… [but we] need a lot of work to understand how to contain AI," Hinton urged. "There’s no use waiting for the AI to outsmart us; we must control it as it develops. We also have to understand how to contain it, how to avoid its negative consequences."

"We’ve entered completely unknown territory. We’re capable of building machines that are stronger than ourselves, but we’re still in control. But what if we develop machines that are smarter than us?" he asked. "We have no experience dealing with these things."

Comedian Joe Rogan warned about AI after a very realistic version of his podcast--done entirely by artificial intelligence--was broadcast.

Scammers are learning ways to use AI to voice messages that makes it sound like you are talking to a relative or a friend and can scam you out of lots of money.  I remember when my mother nearly sent money to "Tom" when he called her and said he was deeply in debt.  Of course it was not Tom, who doesn't gamble on line, and she was smart enough to call me before she sent him any money.  But think of how much more calls like that can be made with artificial inteligence?

AI tools can now create cloned human voices and hyper-realistic images, videos and audio in seconds, at minimal cost.  Can you imagine how that is going to affect voting in the future?  If you think #45 had reasons to suspect false votes in 2021, imagine what he could do in 2024?

I dunno.  I just shook my head this morning listening to the news and thinking that it sounded like the script of a science fiction movie.  But it's real.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

                                                   PHOTO OF THE DAY


                                                                                      ____                                                                                       

8294

No comments:

Post a Comment

Postcrossing

I'm getting into Postcrossing.  I just received statistics for my work in April.   I sent postcards to Germany (4), U.S.A.(2), Taiwan (2...