Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Feeling helpless

 Remember the old days of television and the old days of the internet?

Remember how easy it was to actually find something or enjoy something?  Now, as far as TV is concerned, the commercials have taken over.  I did a count one time and the program I was watching had a 5 minute bit before 7 minutes of commercials.  Is it any wonder I watch cable stations more now, but even some of those have commercials.  Paramount+ at least lets you know how many commercials you have to sit through before you can see your show.

And remember when Peacock was  trying to get people to sign up?  Over and over and over again, it promised "free!!" So how long has Peacock been around now?...and now the uninteresting things are free, but if you want to watch the "good stuff" you have to pay.

Not only do you have to sit through commercials between acts of the program you are watching, but when the program itself comes on, there is often advertising at the bottom of the screen that covers up some of the action on the screen.

(this isn't all that bad...some are much worse)

There are also commercials you can't escape if you are playing on-line games.  My favorite game, "Block Puzzle Jewel," has commercials...it used to be after awhile...now it's after you play 2 or 3 moves.  It's bad enough trying to get through the commercials and back to the game, but now there are some commercials that never leave.  The only way you can get to the game is to restart the computer to wipe out the game you were playing.


It's getting so frustrating I am thinking of finding another game I enjoy as much as I do this one.

Then have you discovered how "search" has changed.  Used to be if you wanted to find out, for example, the definition of a word, you typed in the word and the definition came up.  Now you get a page full of other links for pages where you can find  the definition and if you click on one of them it brings up MORE pages.  It may take several clicks before you actually get the definition (or whatever it is that you are looking for).  And the problem with all this is that some of these links take you to virus pages...how can you tell the difference?

Someone sent me links to a couple of videos on YouTube t hat explain why this is happening and I have lost them, so I can't link to them here.  I watched but didn't understand and meant to go back and watch again...now I'm not even sure what to search for in YouTube.

But it seems that our "golden years" of television and internet are over and the big guys have taken over again.  I guess it's time to get more serious about reading!

__________________________________________________________________________________________

                                                   PHOTO OF THE DAY


____
 8278 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Postcrossing

I'm getting into Postcrossing.  I just received statistics for my work in April.   I sent postcards to Germany (4), U.S.A.(2), Taiwan (2...