Thursday, May 25, 2023

Ancestors

I've been looking through some stuff on Ancestry.com.  Fascinating site, but oh my word is it confusing!

I got my DNA tested recently, and no surprise that it was 38% Irish and 35% Scottish with a little bit of "European" (my great grandfather was born in Germany).  

The DNA testing is also supposed to let you know how many other people on Ancestry.com share your DNA.  I expected to find other relatives, but there were only two, both first cousins whom I know.   

But the thing that is frustrating me is that my cousin Peach did extensive work on the family tree and I can't find it.  I did stumble across a link to it when I found a photo she had uploaded, but it does not take me to her family tree.  And I'm not sure how I can see her tree without her permission, which would be a bit difficult, since she's dead.

I did find the names of my great-great-great grandparents on my father's side.  Surprised to learn they were from Ireland, since these were related to my grandmother, not my grandfather (I knew that his relatives came from Ireland).  I also found a female who is supposedly the child of my grandmother's mother, but I never heard of a girl in the family and I only saw her once and not on any other pages.

It's also frustrating that when I do find something interesting, it sends me to another site that I have to pay to join (I have not).

I have a book of Ancestry.com for Dummies which might help me begin to sort out some of this stuff, but I have a feeling that the "dummies" it was written for are smarter than I am. 

 _____________________________________________________________________________________

                                                   PHOTO OF THE DAY


I'd love to live here!

                                                                                      ____                                                                                       

8300

No comments:

Post a Comment

Postcrossing

I'm getting into Postcrossing.  I just received statistics for my work in April.   I sent postcards to Germany (4), U.S.A.(2), Taiwan (2...