Friday, March 22, 2024

Saturday 9

 

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here are today's questions!


Saturday 9: If You've Got the Money (1950)


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) In this week's song, Lefty Frizzell is eager to go out on the town and hit all the night spots. What are your plans for the weekend?
No plans for the weekend.

2) He tells his girl he'd rather ride in her Cadillac than his old car. Back in the 1950s, Caddys were quite the status symbol. Lefty bought a white one with the profits from this record. Elvis also had a fondness for Cadillacs and preferred pink. Have you ever owned a Cadillac?
Nope.

3) Lefty was a big deal in Big Spring, TX. He was a popular attraction at local bars, a favorite among oil workers who liked to unwind by listening to live music. How do you relax after a tough day?
I rarely have a "tough day," but I relax in my recliner and frequently fall asleep watching TV.

4) This was Lefty's first hit. He wrote "If You've Got the Money" and recorded a demo for producer Jim Beck to play for established singers. When no one else wanted to record it, Beck decided to give Lefty a shot. The result was a million seller that spent 22 weeks on the country charts. Tell us about someone who took a chance on you.
The entertainment editor of the newspaper knew me from my doing publicity for community theaters and when he needed a new theater critic, he decided to offer me the job.  I had no training and really only knew musical theater, but I decided I'd give it a try.  Must have worked out because I reviewed for 12 years until COVID ended theater for a year or so.  They I retired.

5) After this record became a hit, success came quickly to Lefty, perhaps too fast. He signed conflicting contracts with promoters and managers which resulted in lawsuits. Have you recently consulted a lawyer or had a document notarized?
Nope.

6) This song hit number one on the country charts twice: first this version and then in 1976 by Willie Nelson. Do you have a favorite Willie Nelson song?
I'm not a big Willie Nelson fan, but I do enjoy "On the Road Again."

7) In 1950, when this song was popular, Americans began using credit cards. Do you pay with a credit card to get rewards? If yes, what rewards are you accumulating (cash back, airline miles, etc.)
I use my rewards for cash back to pay the credit card bill.

8) Also in 1950, Sears Roebuck and Co. acknowledged a major spike in catalog sales and took the unusual move of devoting the cover of their Spring/Summer catalog to their "satisfaction guarantee." This was meant to allay the fear of customers uncomfortable with ordering by mail instead of buying in person. 74 years later, Amazon delivers more than 3 million packages every day. Would you rather check out a product yourself in a store, or do you prefer the convenience of ordering from home?
Since I no longer drive so can't get to stores to "shop" without a driver, I order everything from home.

9) Random question -- You're singing along with the car radio to your favorite song when you reach your destination. Do you wait until your song is over to get out of the car?
Definitely wait until the song is over.  

______________________________________________________________________________

PHOTO OF  THE DAY


what the curls in the back of my head
look like after washing.


8564

6 comments:

  1. On the Road Again is a good song. I have curls too. My hair is long and the curls don't curl as well. I need a haircut. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the story about how your career got started. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend. ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1 We have soggy Saturday here with around 3 inches of rain today.
    #8 I cut way back on my shopping, I order my groceries online and pick them up. I have a hard time walking more then a couple of hundred feet.

    ReplyDelete

Sunday Stealing

  Welcome to Sunday Stealing. This feature originated and published on WTIT: The Blog. Here we will steal all types of questions from every ...