Sunday, March 10, 2024

The Oscars

The Oscars were first broadcast on television in 1953, which was the year my family got its first television set. My mother (and thus me too) was always interested in Hollywood and movie stars so we watched the Oscars.  I remember that they had the nominated actors sitting on something that looked like a big cake, as it slowly moved around.

I loved the show and have watched it every year since -- that makes 50 years!  In the last few years it's been kind of silly to watch it, since I don't go to movies and don't recognize most of the nominees, or the presenters.  But I still enjoy it.  I also watch the red carpet.  This year t here was a pre-show red carpet where they took the audience into the theater so you could see what it was like inside. Pretty amazing the bar, and food court, and all the things that the stars could enjoy.

This year's format was different for the awards to actor/actress and supporting actor/actress.  Five former winners of that award stood on stage and each talked about one of the nominees.  I thought this was going to make the show go on forEVer, but it was actually very nice and so nice for the nominees to hear such good things about themselves.

I also like watching  the real red carpet, not to see what my favorite stars are wearing (since I have no favorite stars), but I do enjoy seeing the gowns.  Nobody dresses like Cher used to, but there were some pretty interesting looks.  I wondered how Sandra Huller was able to sit in a chair without poking the people on either side of her.

I was so thrilled the DaVine Joy Andrews won the Oscar for her performance in The Holdovers.  Her acceptance was the most tearful of  the night.


I didn't think too much of America Ferrera's dress, which was attractive, until I saw someone on TV explain that it had taken over 400 hours to make and was a chain link by Versace.


Then, of course there was this look which was beautiful.


But I have to admit that my favorite was the sleeves on this dress.


I hadn't heard of the movie Poor Ones but it got so much notice (and so many awards) that I looked it up and found it on line, so since the awards was over by 7:30 I settled in to watch the movie.  I have to admit that I turned it off halfway through.  I didn't like any of the characters and couldn't figure out where it as going, and hated all the sex in it.  But I could definitely see why Emma Stone won the Oscar over Lily Gladstone for Killers of the Flower Moon.  I did feel sorry for Gladstone, though, since everyone expected her to win.  Must have killed her when they called Emma Stone's name.

Best part of the Oscars was when Jimmy Kimmel (the host) read the review that Trump had posted about how bad his performance was. 

Has there EVER been a WORSE HOST than Jimmy Kimmel at The Oscars,” Trump wrote. “His opening was that of a less than average person trying too hard to be something which he is not, and never can be.” In response, Kimmel joked: “Isn’t it past your jail time?”

 So it's over for another year.

______________________________________________________________________________

PHOTO OF  THE DAY

Osage singers from Killers of the Flower Moon, who performed
one of the nominated musical numbers.
.

8553

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday Stealing

  Welcome to Sunday Stealing. This feature originated and published on WTIT: The Blog. Here we will steal all types of questions from every ...