Friday, March 1, 2024

Saturday 9

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here are today's questions!


Saturday 9: Blame It on the Bossa Nova (1963)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This week's song tells the story of a girl who found love at a dance. Share a happy memory from a party, prom or dance you attended.
I attended 3 proms, 2 with my boyfriend and 1 with a guy who lived upstairs from us because my boyfriend had entered the Jesuits.  I don't really remember an especially happy memory, but I remember that I didn't enjoy going with the boy upstairs.

2) This record was a big hit for Eydie Gorme, which surprised her. When she first heard the song, she disliked it and had to be convinced to her record it. Tell us about a pleasant surprise you had recently.
A weird pleasant surprise.  I had a colonoscopy recently and I was convinced they were going to find cancer.  They didn't.

3) "Blame It on the Bossa Nova" is about love at first sight on the dance floor. Eydie's husband Steve Lawrence maintained he fell in love with her the first time he heard her sing. Have you ever felt a sudden, powerful attraction to someone? If yes, did you act on it?
When I was in grammar school, I "fell in love" with a guy who was at the playground and I knew we were going to marry.  I never met him, but watched him all the time.  I never found out his name.  And I didn't marry him.

4) While this was a solo success for Eydie, she was also known for recording and performing with Steve Lawrence. He was just 22 and she was 29 when they married. Eydie admitted she was self-conscious about the difference in their ages. Do you think age matters in a romantic relationship?
Depends on the ages.  As a general rule, no, but a teacher and a student?  Those Mormon relationships where the old guy marries several wives, all in their early teens....I don't approve of those!

5) Eydie was fluent in Spanish, which enabled her to pay for her classes at City College by working as an interpreter. Tell us about one of your early jobs.
My first job was babysitting.  My first "professional" job was washing test tubes at a medical lab.  I hated it.

6) In 1963, when this song was popular, The Rambler was Motor Trend's car of the year. It was a 9-passenger station wagon, perfect for families. What do you remember about your childhood family car?
It was a Plymouth and I still remember the license plate number, which I sometimes use as my password on line.  There were no seat belts and when we drove somewhere, I used to sleep on the shelf in front of the back widow, until I got sick and had to get out to vomit.  (My father hated to drive anywhere with me!)

7) Also in 1963, President Kennedy made a state trip to Ireland. Have you visited the land of your ancestors?
Yes, Ireland.  I've been there 3 times and each time I feel like I belong there.

8) The pilot for Gilligan's Island was filmed in 1963. Were you a fan of the show?
I have seen some of it, but I was never a fan.

9) Random question: Crunchy, smooth or organic peanut butter?
Smooth.  Skippy.


__________________________________________________________________________________

PHOTO OF THE DAY

Working on our Paris puzzle

8545 

4 comments:

Yum

 Ned is the caregiver for a building that is owned by the volunteer fire department.  We went there a month or so ago when they had a pancak...