Saturday, October 14, 2023

An Oscar Weekend

 I've been a big Oscar fan ever since the very first award ceremony was broadcast on TV in 1953,  the year we got our television set.  My mother was a big fan of movies and movie stars and it was our big thing to watch together...and I have just kept watching, though I sometimes think it's pointless when I haven't seen most of the movies and don't recognize most of the "stars"...but I still love the pagentry.

My Oscar weekend started on Saturday when Turner Classic Movies continued to show their month of Oscar winners.  Saturday was a great day.  I watched The Music Man, Judy Garland's A Star Is Born, and American in Paris.  I recorded Fiddler on the Roof and Cabaret, which were on too late and I knew I'd fall asleep if I watched them.

The Sunday broadcast of the Oscars started at 5, but at 3 ABC was on the "red carpet" (this year champagne colored) and that's always fun, seeing the stars interviewed before they enter the theater.  I was most impressed with Melissa McCarthy's dress.  It was designed by Christian Siriano but there was a pipe burst in his studio and the dress was ruined.  He created this dress in a day.


Jimmy Kimmel was the host of the show and I found it one of the more enjoyable Oscar broadcasts that I've seen in the past few years.

Everything Everywhere All at Once was the big winner.  I tried to watch that movie and just couldn't get into it.  Now I'm thinking I should try again. Ke Huy Quan was the first award given out, for supporting actor in Everythng .and his speech was very emotional.


He  talked about fleeing Vietnam and coming to this country in a boat with his father and 5 of his siblings in 1978.  He spent a year in a refugee camp...and now he was standing on the biggest stage in the world.  His tearful thanks went to 84 year old his mother and I confess to being moved to tears.

The other acceptance that moved me to tears was Jamie Lee Curtis, who also won for supporting actor in Everything.


She also gave an emotional speech, thanking everyone she has ever worked with, but it was when she mentioned that both of her parents (Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh) had been nominated in the past she got teary as she spread her arms out and said "I won an Oscar!"

Best musical number went to Naatu Naatu, a Bollywood number from the movie RRR that got everyone tapping their toes.


I checked out the movie, an Indian action film which was entirely too violent for me to stick with it...and definitely nothing like the song itself!

It was fun watching Ke Huy Quan greet Harrison Ford at the end of the show, before the big award was read.


Quan's very first movie role was as "Short Round" in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom when he was 12 years old.

So now the Oscars are over for another year and I guess I'm going to have to give Everything Everywhere All at Once  another shot.

_____
8225

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sunday Stealing

  Welcome to Sunday Stealing. This feature originated and published on WTIT: The Blog. Here we will steal all types of questions from every ...