Monday, October 9, 2023

can't put it down

I made the mistake of listening to an interview with James Patterson and his current co-author about their new book, "12 Months to Live."  I have stopped reading Patterson since he started using co-authors, but the two authors insisted this was their best book, full of tension and mystery and there were two more books to follow.  Then I saw an ad by the wives of the authors reiterating that this was their best book.  Patterson still is the top selling author in the country. So I gave in and bought it for my kindle.  After the drama of the book about the death of Diana and the horrible "mystery" book about raspberry truffles, I wanted a good crime book I could sink my teeth into.

I should have remembered that advertisements aren't always accurate.  This was one of them.  Oh it's a good book, but only a "good" book with little  tension.  I've read a lot of Patterson books before he became a writing corporation that were much better.

But I finished it.  Then I discovered that there was a Harlan Coben book, "Just One Look," which I ordered a year ago and hadn't read.  I started it and within 3 pages, I knew this was the book I was hoping the Patterson book would be.  It was one of those books you can't put down.  I turned off the TV and read all day.  After dinner and watching Jeopardy with Walt, I turned off the TV again and read until I was falling asleep.  (For me to turn off the TV, it has to be pretty special!)

The book only got better and better and now, just 100 or so pages from the end, I had to take a break and write something because the tension was getting to me and I needed some time off.  I don't know why I give Patterson a chance any more.  I also don't know why he and not Coben is the top selling author in the country.

But now I have to go back and finish the book.....

_______________________________________________________________________

PHOTO OF THE DAY


8419   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bob Dunning's farewell.

  (I did not have the opportunity to write a final, honest column about my 55 years at The Davis Enterprise. So I’m doing it here.) This is ...