Wednesday, October 11, 2023

The Colonoscopy

 The fluid I had to drink was lemon flavored and really either it didn't taste bad or my taste buds are so bad that I couldn't taste it.  I drank it with apple juice (I'd forgotten how good apple juice is!) and had no trouble getting half a gallon down in 2 hours.  But then there was trying to get to the bathroom in time.  I went through several pairs of Depends and pants and Ned finally put a pad down the hall (left over from Bouncer's last days) because I kept leaving diarrhea in the hall.  For some reason I had zero muscle control of my anus.


I managed to sleep all right and in the morning did it all over again, with the other half of the liquid.  I ended up spending about two hours sitting on the toilet.


(Notice the intercom Ned installed so I could call him if I needed him.  Ned has been amazing, cleaning me -- and the bathroom -- up so often!).  I spent two hours playing the puzzle game I've become addicted to.


And then after noon, we went to Kaiser.  I knew I was in good hands when the nurse assisting me told me that he and his husband had just adopted their second child.  

They did the colonoscopy first and other than being somewhat uncomfortable, especially since I had to lie on my side flat out, which I haven't done in years, it was just fine.  You get to watch the procedure on a monitor, but it wasn't as interesting as Criminal Minds.  The endoscopy was so quick I was hardly aware that it was being done.

The notes say they removed two small polyps and found some internal hemorrhoids.  It doesn't sound like anything serious, though the polyps have to be biopsied and I'll find out the results of the biopsy in a week.  Then they wheeled me down to the entrance in a wheelchair, where Walt and Ned were waiting.

Ned stopped at a Burger King on the way home and we got burgers.  I don't think I've had a burger in a long time that tasted so good!  When we got home, I climbed into the recliner and slept 4 hours.  While I was asleep Walt went out and got mandarins and bananas, so I had fruit to eat when I woke up.

So relieved it's all over.  The general rule is to have a colonoscopy every 10 years and I hope I won't live long enough to have another one!

_______________________________________________________________________

PHOTO OF THE DAY

(It's nice to have a son who understands
why you want pictures taken!)

8421

2 comments:

  1. Oh, you poor girl! I'm glad you rewarded yourself with burgers. You deserved them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad its over! Also, did you see there will be a new Myron and Win book in 2024? Exciting news!

    ReplyDelete

Sunday Stealing

  Welcome to Sunday Stealing. This feature originated and published on WTIT: The Blog. Here we will steal all types of questions from every ...